Thursday, March 22, 2012

Colours. Experiences. Life.

I sit in awe. My back is propped up against a sun-warmed rock while the tips of my toes dangle off a 50....100...500...1500 foot (?) cliff. Below me lies the green blanket of dense forest broken only by the dusty well-worn paths of those who travel it daily. Silver ribbons of smoke twist and curl into the twilight sky as if dancing their way up the heavens and ultimate freedom from their ember foundations. I breath in. The long day of heat is radiating back up from the rocks. Although a good thunderstorm attempted to keep it down, the dust still swirls about on the breeze. The high elevation makes breathing harder, but causes my heart to skip as it gradually slowes down. I listen. On the right-hand ridge comes the swaks and calls of villiage folk, probaby enjoying some homebrewed sugarcane beer. A hourse ragged moo echos out from below me, although it is is hiden from view. High in the ever changing sky, swoops and soars a giant black bird (less likely an eagle; more likely a vulture) calling all below to pay attention to his glory. As the clouds bubble ontop of each other making and breaking formation, the sun's tired rays shine beneath them as it slowly goes to bed. Soon the sky folows and turns off it's soft peaceful colors of gold and pink to turn into a deep bedtime blue. A day in Lushoto is coming to a close.

This past weekend (Fri. 17 - Mon. 19) we gathered as a collective group for a workshop/break at the edge of Lushoto's rim. This is the first time since the Maasi villiage two weeks ago that the whole group has been together since despersing for internships and homestays. Here we were able to enjoy five star meals, hot showers, mosqueto free nights, exploration, but most importantly talk with Steve and Suzan Vincent about their last 30 years working with Villiage Schools International around Tanzania. From talking about adapting to culture to seeing how important it is for the community to be involoved, the weekend really was a great break to set aside God time, friend time, and just think. (Thanks to Steve and Suzan's son Jonathan I was able to do alot of this at the location described above.) Here are some of the things I've been pondering.
First, in what ways has this trip influenced me? In short: every. Can I explain it yet? Honestly? Nope. Spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically I feel like....I've popped my head out of the water after diving in really deep. From having a completely new and different diet, language, people group, living environments, and atmosphere in general I'm not sure how I've shifted...but I have. I really wonder how I will be able to leave here...a place that is feeling more and more like home every day with children and people I care deeply about. Yes, I love and miss you all back in the states, but....sigh, there is just so much. Which leads me too...

Second, what am I going to do when I get home? I have limited myself to not daydreaming about May 10th and 11th, but this weekend my brain (both waking and dreaming) set up plans that I now have mixed feelings about. I get home on the 10th around 7:30p.m. (according to the current schedule) where I hope to be picked up by my grandparents, taken to the lake for stories, popcorn, spoonfull of crunchy peanut butter on vanilla icecream, hot showers, and a big comfy bed. Then waking up somewhat early (I am determined NOT to have jet lag!) to a breakfast of scrambled eggs (no salt) with cheese, slice of toast (or pancakes) and a big glass of super pulpy OJ, before heading off to Whitworth in jeans, crocs, shirt, sweatshirt?, and toe socks that have not been worn for the past 4+ months to catch up with anyone done or out of finals. Then on Sat (if Philip could please wait that long) driving down to Mill City where I can finally paint nails with Mom, bike with Dad, walk in the middle of the road, cook, and just have tons of fun. Those right there are my current dreams; however, like I said before, I have mixed feelings about these. What if I jump back into American fast-pace society too fast? It is still weird just to wear jeans around the house after school once every other week or so! Am I going to be able to feel confident and safe about driving after dealing and growing accustomed to being on the "wrong" side of the road where there really are no traffic inforcements? How is the food going to taste after being accustomed to stuff totally different? Can I get used to the constant talk, music playing, texting...busyness of life?

Third, how amazing of an experience this trip has been!!!!! (No questions asked about it!) Everyday things still kindof feel both familiar and unreal. Walking to the bus stop the other day I got hit in the head by an avacado (I better understand Newton now:). Doladolas drive by with sayings like "God's Yes is stronger than Any one's No" and "Proud to be Muslim" and "B' Real" posted on them are more recognizeable then the Hollywood ones that take me a minute to think what it says. Donkeys, cows, dogs and chickens still get in the way of foot and motor traffic. Dinner is eaten on the couches while watching Bollywood with English subtitles that don't always line up with speaker's timing. Walking into a classroom and having the whole class stand and say "Good morning, Teacher." warms my heart. Walking over, around, through forests in Lushoto is fantastic...AND THIS HAS ALL BEEN IN THE LAST TWO WEEKS! Yes, I have mixed feelings about coming home home and not being able to share all stories to the depths which they should be, but I am even more eager and excited to see how the next 50 some odd days pan out.

Fourth, what's to come? This week has been pretty chill. I taught about the calendar on Tuesday, which was a little more interesting then expected when I wrote the date "March 20, 2012" and was promptly told by 36 geniouses that it wrong. Trick question of the day is it? (To them yes; dates are written English style with day then month then year.) Wednesday - Friday is end of term testing which means I have been in the library making tangible teaching aids or proctoring tests. Saturday and Sunday are catch up on homework days which includes writing a ton of reflections and getting a jump on my policy paper about punishment tactics at school. (Sneak peak: It's about the fact that a resent law states that only the headmasters and administrators of a school are alowed to cane a student; however, teachers have not been trained in other ways of dealing with misbehaviors and continue to do so. My paper is about educating the educators on proper management that is now lawful.) Monday is a day of parties for the end of semester. Tuesday I may be teaching English at Juvie or grading papers till Thursday. Friday is my last day at the school and where I have to turn stuff in. On the 31st we say good-bye to host families (Not wanting to think about how sad this is going to be) before heading off on an 8 day safari. Plans have changed so we aren't hiking Kili, but I do get to go to an elephant research/wildlife place so that's a plus.

Then off to Dar for a month of learning and exploring before leaving Africa on the 8th, lay over in England for 22 hours, then home home. Yes, the homework deadlines are cruching closer, but don't worry, I got it all undercontrol, colour coded and getting conquered daily.

So, this is where I stand right now. I love God. Am trying to understand life. Care for family and friends around the world. Have passion for teaching including the spontaneous moments. And just plain ol' happy.
PS. Sorry about lack of sunset photos...I do have them....just on the camera that is at home and not with me at the hotel...ooops)

No comments:

Post a Comment