Monday, March 23, 2015

Imagining Yogurt: Yuck? or Yum? (Alternative Title: 6 Months, 6 Lessons)

I just ate yogurt.

Reread that again to try to find the significance. 

I just ate yogurt.

Did you? In case you didn’t here you go again: I just ate yogurt.

Maybe some context will help. I am sitting in my 10 foot by 15 foot room, with only the little window above the door open, in the Northwest Tigray region of Ethiopia during hot season. It is also Lent. The one outlet goes to a power strip that has my computer charger, phone charger and single burner stove plugged in. Power is working, though water is out. 

So, what is so interesting to write a blog about eating yogurt? If you were in my classroom, I would pause and wait for some brave soul to answer. However, seeing as I don’t know who, when, where this blog is being read, I suppose I shall just have to explain and you can check your own understanding.

As I tell my students, the first thing to do is identify the words. “I” is the singular pronoun for one’s self. “Just” implies recently finished. “Ate” is the past tense of to eat or consume food. “Yogurt”…. Is it the extra fruity, bursting with sugar Danables’ or the thick, almost sour Greek yogurt? Here yogurt is not what you picture. Two days ago when a teacher gave me a gift, it was a liter of milk. After being divided into an old extra-crunchy peanut butter container and a Tupperware, it’s sat on my kitchen table for two days. It is what we refer to as yogurt. As one may add berries or honey to Greek yogurt, I add a little bit of salt to this. Strangely enough, it tastes remarkably like the offspring from Greek yogurt and cottage cheese parents.

When I showed my students American peanut butter their noses scrunched up in utter disgust. Did you do the same thing when hearing about Ethiopian yogurt? As of Friday 20 March 2015 I have been a sworn in Peace Corps Volunteer for 6 months. In these six months of Selekleka, I have been taught many lessons that I would have scrunched up my nose at if the context was different. However, what I am learning here is just as applicable in downtown Spokane, little ol’ Mill City, or wherever else God calls His children to serve. So, here are six lessons Selekleka is teaching me:

1. Faith Influences Life
Who picked up the details of the closed door and window even though it is hot season in the context above? Or the added detail that it’s Lent? Why are these important?
         For Lent Orthodox Christians are vegans as part of their fast.  No eggs, milk, meat. Nothing from animals. I wear a cross around my neck. People know that I am Christian. However, distinguishing the parts of the Christian body are like teaching Grey’s anatomy to a preschoolar – confusing, leading to confusion, not really worth the division. Last Saturday I was pulled away from going to get eggs by my students, as “those are only for the Muslims.” These are the same good-hearted girls who informed me on Friday, that licking fingers is a strictly non-Christian behavior. Religion is life.
         My impression of fasting in the States (and someone please comment below if I am way off base) is that it’s done by some religious people at certain times of the year. During college, my friends and I would give up something we craved or used a lot, to focus on God. (One year I gave up any drink besides water. Another was Facebook.) But that would be only a fraction of the fasting, that majority of Christians do here. Every Wednesday and Friday there is the fast of all animal products. Butchers close down. Not only do people not eat animal products during Lent, they also don’t eat until 9 o’clock in the morning. As my darling girls explained, it is so they focus on God all morning. While I notice the lack of energy in early morning classes, I am impressed at the dedication.
         The few times I have bought eggs on a fasting days, the sideways looks I got was slightly unnerving. I see how uncomfortable restaurant owners shift when a site mate asks for meat and they don’t have it. It might be different in bigger cities where you can go anywhere and people don’t know details about you, but I really don’t mind just going without for awhile. Sure, I would love to have meat (or pork which is against every religion here), but it has got me thinking about what I do to incorporate my faith into my life.
         I closed my window and doors because I didn’t want anyone in my compound seeing me. I’m not embarrassed as I recognize the difference in religious customs, but I don’t want to tempt them or create a barrier.  I didn’t buy the milk: it was given to me by a Muslim friend, who is completely free from the sideways glances of breaking the fast. I’m not saying that I completely agree with the rules of fasting nor do I follow the fast completely (nutella usually breaks this for me), but I am trying to find ways to spend more conscious time focusing on God.

2. Silver Linings in Mud Puddles
When I first applied to Peace Corps I rolled my eyes at their motto “the hardest job you’ll ever love.” How could you love something that is hard? Why would people swear an oath to hardship? Six months is more than enough time to realize how hard “hard” can be. It can break people, cause cravings for plane tickets home, and discourage those who stay. While I am here, I can’t think that thought without also realizing all the people that are no longer here.
Often when things start piling up, the aches start forming, the buttons reemerging to get pushed, and unexpected curve balls making one strike out, it often feels like swimming in a mud puddle. Completely dirty and not really making any progress. These kind of days are not confined within in third world country borders. I’m sure you have those days when you just need a Starbucks, maybe with an extra shot, or a nap. Hard days are part of life.  But as my friend Kelsey mentioned last week in a text “We are getting really good at finding the faint silver linings.”
         It’s the twirlings, saved candy canes in a cup of cocoa, a kid calling you by name, fresh hot injera, smell of sweet rain, a student’s smile, that pushes down the homesickness, unknown physical illness, frustrations, and general overwhelm-ness. It’s realizing that these hardships will end when the plane ticket comes in 18 months, having a fresh pot of tea when the water is being rationed, an early bed time when the power goes out and a child’s dark hand in yours forgetting all differences and barriers -- those rim the mud puddle in light and goodness.
         Statistically, all days cannot be hard. Eventually there will be a good one. It’s just finding ways to get through the bad that makes all the difference. It’s remembering the pure joy of stomping in puddles, instead of sinking in it.

3. Family goes beyond blood
         June 28, 2015: I woke up, ate some scrambled eggs and cinnamon rolls with grandparents, parents, Thomas and Heather, my college roommate. After hugging the youngest and oldest of that group, I got into a van for the longest car ride of my life, the hour or so to the Spokane Airport. I rushed through security so that I wouldn’t have to cry, but did later anyways. It was the day I said goodbye to those closest, dearest, and blood related family (Philip had his goodbye the night before) for 27 months (3 months training and 24 months of sworn in service). 27 months. More months than my age. 823 days without being a text away from those that always loved me. It’s no surprise that part of Peace Corps’ application asks how are you prepared to be gone for this long. You can’t be prepared for it.
         If you asked me what my landlady’s name is, I have no idea. I call her “Mama.” That is what she introduced herself as and what the community calls her. While walking back from one of my site mate’s house I had one child per finger, others grabbing onto my bag and shirt as we ran, skipped, laughed to my house. Walking home Wednesday, I had a cloister of grade 5 girls run after me to walk me home, calling me sister when they left. Wherever I go in town, people call out to me, inviting me to play foos ball, drink coffee or just hang out. I’m given a liter of milk, by someone who knows I am sick and need protein. This community is my family.
         Hospitality radiates from people here like heat off concrete. It’s addicting, overwhelming, wonderful. I really have no idea which kids belongs to whom and which ones are siblings as they play and being watched by everyone. They know how to care, look out for each other, and give without asking for anything in return. They welcome me in treating me like a sister, not as a foreign guest.

4. Students are Teachers, Teachers are Students
While recently Facebook skyping with a college friend (where just sound came through so it was more like a glorified free phone call), she asked me “So, tell me about your students?” My mind whirled as it tries to untangle thoughts that resemble a pile of spaghetti. My 210 big brown-eyed students fill my day whether or not I have them in class. They are there in the back of my mind as I am planning lessons, begging to start at the basic for anything and work up. They are there to walk to school with and expecting me to know all their grades off the top of my head at any given time. But most importantly, they are there. Teaching me, reminding me, pushing me to do better than I thought I ever could be.
         This week I realized my cluelessness. I assumed I knew everything. Sure I am morning shift so my first period class is low and by 6th period they are ready to go home and eat. However, walking with students I was reminded how little I do know. One of my top students, while walking with me to school, shared that he lives in Selekleka with his 10th grade brother, but that he misses his parents who live in a village he can only go see (sometimes) on the weekends if he can walk two hours one way to see them. Another student said good-bye to me after we walked the driveway into school with a smile. Moments before he confessed he has 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) to go till home. The next morning he was there before the gates opened. Students show pleasure in getting barely above a 50% (passing score) in something they’ve been expected to get worse in. They call out to me, even if I am with other teachers, to talk to. I’ve been invited to play volleyball with some and coffee with others. They quickly volunteer Tigrigna words when I need clarification and repeat it through smiles when I fail horribly.
         They are teaching me what patience is about and how to set goals despite what others tell them. They teach me how the school system has prepared or failed them and what I need to do to help them. I’ve been told only 25% of secondary students will go to preparatory, yet a higher percentage of my students tell me they are going to go to University.  They teach me to smile and keep coming to learn.  There are students that skip other classes, don’t speak English, but still show up to my class everyday.
         The other day a teacher and I were discussing students skipping classes and what the punishment should be. I asked him: “When you were a student did you skip classes?” he asked me to translate it or to write it down. I went for option #2. Still the grammar structure of the question threw him. Other teachers came over and discussed it. Finally the meaning was comprehended, and our conversation continued with a brief halftime. While walking to our  classes I responded to one of his questions with “Yep.” He laughed and asked what that meant and then if there were other variations of “yes” in the English language.
         While he is not an English teacher, he does have a very high proficiency for the language. He enjoys teaching me new Tigrigna words and phrases, but isn’t shy to speak up when he doesn’t know. He reminds me that teachers are always supposed to be learning too. Not just from their students, but about their own strengths and weaknesses. I love when I asked teachers what topic they are teaching today and they explain their whole lesson to me. While I only enjoyed Biology in high school (mostly because of the teacher and not the subject matter), going through it again has been so interesting and fun (same with history, math, PE, and English). There is so much to learn, why not learn it from people who are passionate about it?
         Teachers laugh at me when I walk home with students instead of paying 2 birr for a ride back to town in a three wheeled bajaj. They don’t realize that that is the time I learn the most. I learn which teachers are liked, what students’ ambitions are, and what a day looks like to them. Students know that I put on a white coat and have the respect of teacher. They don’t come up and talk to me at the staff lounge. They know that I am a teacher.

5. Normal is Relative
What did you see today? What did you do? Where did you go and how did you get there? Who did you interact with? What was the intention of the interaction?
         I saw camels, tan and white speckled sheep and chickens crossing the road. I used a hole in the ground for a toilet. I didn’t use silverware. I taught with a blackboard and used chalk that dried out my hands. I walked through cut teff fields, around corn, and over dried riverbeds to school in my Chaco shoes. I ate yogurt that some consider just to be spoiled milk. I crammed on a bus to get to Axum and then another to get to Adwa where the windows weren’t opened. I shook hands with more people than I know names. I waved and greeted people I see everyday. I ask about families and jobs. I hung out with people just to pass the time. I take malaria medicine. I walk on the left side of the road. I wear a skirt that hasn’t been able to be washed in weeks and I brush strands of hair that are coated in dust and rain water.
         Normal is relative. I am often asked to compare America and Ethiopia. What is better? What is strange? One student this week asked what animals I have eaten, and was shocked when I said that I’ve had rabbit and pig. It’s hard to imagine if all pig products were banned in America. That would take out a staple for many people. Or if dishwashers and washing machines weren’t able to work. Here though, it’s normal.
         As I’ve mentioned in other blogs, differences don’t make one thing better than the other. They are just different. The norms here are good. The norms in America are good. The norms in Singapore are good. I’ve learned not to judge while comparing. Not to jump to conclusions about something without finding out the story behind the custom. To take the time to ask why respectfully and really listen to the answer.

6. Safety Nets
         Have you heard Demi Lovato’s “Gift of a Friend”? Take a reading break, be thankful for your internet connection and youtube this! Don’t think of it as teen pop or anti-whatever-genre-you-like, just listen to the lyrics. “Sometimes you think you’ll be fine by yourself. Cuz a dream is a wish that you make all alone. It’s easy to feel like you don’t need help, but it’s harder to walk on your own.” I came to Peace Corps/Selekleka thinking that I had made this my life dream and I was going to do it on my own. You, whoever and wherever you are, are proving this wrong.
         “Do not be afraid” is written hundreds of times throughout the Bible, probably because people face fears all the time. Maybe not scared of the dark fears, but uncertainty, doubt, self-denial, lack of purpose, waste of time are all troubles that I have faced (and will continue to). While the Bible and God are my help, the letters, packages, facebook messages, random texts, running out of phone birr calls that reminds me I am surrounded by love even when I feel completely alone.
         “Someone who knows when you’re lost and you’re scared. There through the highs and the lows. Someone to count on. Someone who cares besides you where ever you go.” I thought this would apply to only to friends who have known me the longest. Time cannot dictate the depth of friendship. The people I have known for a not quite 9 months are still some of those who know when I am putting on fake “I’m fine” masks. They are there calling me to make sure I am okay, celebrating the highs, supporting me in the lows and everywhere in between. They share water so I can feel clean if for a brief moment.
         And there are those who have known me my whole life that never cease to amaze me with their support and encouragement in the brief Facebook messages and phone calls. There are those who came into my life pre-Peace Corps and remind me that I didn’t just leave their thoughts because I left their country. There are those I have never met in person, but still send me good wishes, and candy to start an international friendship.
         “And when your hope crashes down shattering all around you feel alone…. There’s no signs pointing you home. You’re not alone.” In the Hunger Games, President Snow has a brilliant one-line spark of genius when he states: “Hope is the only thing stronger than fear.” Above all, you give me hope. You remind me why I am doing what I am doing. That I am not alone, forgotten or being thrown out like last year’s fashion as you move on in your lives. You give me hope of tea/coffee dates, slumber parties, devouring delicious food that range from sour gummy worms to lasagna, apartment hunting, co-teaching, visiting, wa-hoo-ing off the end of dock, and so much more. Thank you. 
         It’s my friends and family that get me through every other lesson. They---you, are my safety net, my comfort, my inspiration to be better.  I want to be like you for my students, other friends, strangers to help spread a positive impression of humans (American or otherwise). 


I am a quarter of the way done with my Peace Corps Ethiopia adventure. 1/4 of the way on the journey learning about myself, others, and life. 1/4 through an oath I vowed to keep. 1/4 of what was once unknown. If I keep up the same rate I’ve only met 1/4 of the people I could meet, had 1/4 of the diarrhea, headaches, mosquito bites I will endure through this all and written 1/4 of my blogs that my dear mother posts for me. I don’t know what the next 3/4 much less the next 1/18 of this trip will hold, but I am completely done with my yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment