Sunday, May 3, 2015

“Could Have”, But Not “Should Have” (May 2, 2015)

         I could have used the time putting on layers of gooey paper-mache to plan lessons. I could have used the day to review the mid-exam or start on Unit 11: Endangered Animals. I could have just handed the students lollipops to make sure that all got some. I could have played “pin the nose on the mosquito” to bring in another easier game for students. I could have….. but sometimes life is about going the extra mile to do something utterly fun, slightly crazy, and completely goofy. It’s a lesson students continue to show me throughout my first year of teaching.
            Cravings are hard to ignore and often times harder to satisfy around here. These cravings for me tend to center around food, such as granola bars, chocolate, caramels, cheese, cottage cheese and bell papers. Usually they stick around for a day and then fade into something else. (Random information: The craving that has stuck around the longest for me is one for a ham and cheese sandwich on homemade bread with Doritos and a granny smith apple.) A couple weeks ago, I had the urge to do something creative and get rid of the stacks of unneeded papers around my room. Then my college roommate sent a letter with a couple of balloons and my craving turned to papier-mâché-ing a piñata. I could have waited for the craving to pass. Let it go with an excuse or two. I could have found a different craft that would have satisfied my craving. I could have done something less messy and easier to explain to my compound family.
Originally the piñata was going to be for the class with the highest participation and attendance for the week leading up to mid-exams. It was an attempt to get students to come to class and listen, instead of doing work for other classes or skipping all together. I started the process on the long Easter weekend, thankful that I had time and energy to get a craft going. However, I realized late on Thursday night that I had no way to hang a piñata. So instead, the winning class was just handed lollipops. Life went on. Then mid-exams got moved from Monday to Wednesday, so review still continued. Still the blue piñata sat in my house. I could have hung up the piñata and considered it too late for the malaria awareness month competition that Peace Corps volunteers around the country were competing in. I could have let kids around my neighborhood bash at it. I could saved money and not put in lollipops.
On Monday, 27 April, there was a miscommunication between secondary and preparatory directors. Prep wanted to start their mid-exams in the morning, but had failed to tell secondary. So instead of the small secondary shift coming to school so there would be enough rooms on campus, the large shift came. As mid-exams take president over classes, prep was awarded their classrooms and secondary had to rearrange and reconfigure. All classes were paired up. Thankfully first period the HPE teacher took out 9I out so I could review the mid-exam and start unit 11 with just 9Q. However, 9F and 9E had been combined and I only teach one of those classes. Most of the morning the first teacher there took the class he/she had and kicked the other class out. Seeing the injustice of that, I meant my students at the door and told them that we were going out and leaving 9F to their Physics teacher. They were confused,but went with it. I could have complained and tried to find a room. I could have asked 9F to leave.
My school has a gravel parking lot--where painted lines would be, there is concrete barriers between the spots. This forms a perfect horseshoe shape for students to sit around. First I passed out their mid-exams, explaining that we would review the answers on a different day when we had a blackboard. Passing out 60 tests takes a while, but they were eager and interested so the process went fairly smoothly. I then pulled them over to where the piñata was hanging in a tree. They were bewildered, but eager to figure out what their prize was. I then asked what students know about malaria and if they would be willing to be recorded saying it. Three brave souls came forward. I could have made this a class activity with all students writing responses. I could have done more than three students. I could have given them more than 30 seconds to think of malaria information.
After recording the students’ responses, I explained what a piñata is. They didn’t really get it until I shook it so that they could hear the lollipops jangling around. It took some work to make students back up far enough, but once they realized what was going on they did it. Making the claim that we don’t fight and hit mosquitos in the daytime, I pulled out a bandana to blindfold the first student. True to the game, I spun him around till he was slightly dizzy. After a few hits I rotated so that all who were recorded could get a chance to bash the piñata.
When the piñata was finally decapitated, chaos ensued. Students piled in to reach for a piece. There was laughing, yelling, pushing, shoving, relief and utter awe. At the end all candy was gone, papier-mâché destroyed all over the place, and teachers came over to make sure students weren’t actually getting into a fight. I could have asked other teachers to help or at least warned them to prevent unneeded confusion. I could have had students practice getting candy and sharing to make sure they all got some.
There is a lot I could have done for this one day, but that is just a snippet of my life. I brought in food for the unit on food and categorizing it when I could have had students make list. I brought in a jawbone of a goat because students were having trouble distinguishing between chin and jaw when I could have drawn a picture. I could have continued teaching instead of giving end of unit and weekly spelling tests, to get through the textbook quicker. But just because there is another alternative that may not be as messy, complicated or detailed, doesn’t mean that is what one should do.
I shouldn’t allow fear of explaining around a language barrier to prevent me from making a pinata. I shouldn’t be an Ebeneezer Scrooge and count the costs over the enjoyment and outcome that aren’t monetary.  I shouldn’t complain when the schedule is changed and demand that I get something else. Classwork is fun, but I shouldn’t dictate my classes around that. I shouldn’t limit the use of visual aids even though they are seen as odd, different, and a distraction. I shouldn’t judge my success on getting through a textbook, without continuous assessment.
Sometimes it is easier to get drawn in to the norms and expectations of what one should do than think of what one could do with a little more effort, time, and commitment. But easier isn’t always what should to be done.



No comments:

Post a Comment