Sunday, January 3, 2016

Stuff’s Just Stuff 30 December 2015


One doesn’t have to look hard or listen very close to figure out how Christmas is portrayed. “I should be playing in the winter snow, but I’m gonna be under the mistletoe…. Everyone’s gathered around the fire. Chestnuts roasting…” (Misteltoe – Justin Beiber). “Santa Claus is coming to town. He’s making a list and checking it twice.” “When Christmas Day is here. The most wonderful day of the year.” (Rudolf and the Island of Misfit Toys) “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Everywhere you go. Take a look at the five and ten, it’s glistening once again with candy canes and silver lanes that glow….Toys in every store. But the prettiest sight to see is the holly that will be on your own front door…There’s a tree in the Grand Hotel and one in the park as well….soon the bells will start.”

Growing up, I loved waiting and watching the Christmas boxes coming out from the rafters. Boxes that were stashed away, but within reach when we needed them. Our blue plates were traded out for holly printed and gold rimmed ones (that we couldn’t put in the microwave). Pictures were moved off the main walls so that we could hang our stockings. White icicle lights were hung with a line of color lights around the perimeter of the house. Nativity scenes were put on the pellet stove mantel and old England scene with cotton snow on top of the piano. Grandma’s handmade advent calendar was back by the bedrooms and a hanging Santa with balancing glasses in the bathroom. One tree was in the front room and one was in the back to accommodate all the ornaments we’ve made, gathered, or were given throughout our lives. A giant woven basket that stored all of the Christmas books was right next to the couch begging to be read. It really did start to look like Christmas.

Last year, I missed the stuff. This year, the feeling is still there, but not as strong. I’ve realized everything in those boxes is stuff. Stuff that will break, be lost, be handed down through generations and packed back up in the new year. Stuff is just stuff. So, what makes it valuable enough to miss even after two years?

The plates are the reminder of so many laughs around the family table eating delicious food together. The stockings aren’t just something parents picked up for us once we were born and wrote our names in sharpie. They are cross-stitched by Dad with our names and the entire alphabet themed around Christmas. The Nativities range from how they came into our lives, but remind us to get the real meaning of Christmas centered. Grandma’s calendar that we would take turns who got to pull out an ornament for the felt tree, but made sure each kid was allowed to pull out the day that matched his/her age. The laughs, smiles, and stories retold for all the ornaments that came out of tissue and boxes. Curling up with cocoa to hear the Christmas stories being reread, by those who taught us to read.

Stuff helps make traditions. The pan with cutmarks in the bottom that Dad uses for his caramels is somehow elevated in importance now more than the rest of the year. “Muppet’s Christmas Carol” that we watch practically every year with smiles and laughs. The candles in the advent wreath in the center of our table that we love to light. The orange in the toe of our stockings. But, the stuff is just an accessory. The important parts are the family and friends that make traditions and memories.

A paper tree with a bald angel on top, a small silver angel ornament hanging on my lightswitch and red twisted streamers are the only decorations that suggest it’s Christmas season at all. It’s actually more up then I had last year. There were two packages to open for Christmas, but today I didn’t have anything for my birthday. Stuff is pretty low.

I’m so far away from my family. Calling is tricky as network and power are inconsistent and choppy. I miss the traditions with my family in a way I can’t articulate adequately or give justice to. Sometimes the pain is real and makes me wonder why I’m sacrificing so much time away from family to be here. I dream of just having one hour with the family.

But then, my eyes open and I realize the stuff may be limited here. My biological family may be far away. But I’m wrapped in love and purpose here. I have friends that wish me Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday even though Christmas isn’t for another week in their calendar and only small children really celebrate birthdays. There are friends that I play volleyball with until after the sunsets and walk home shivering with. Friends that call and text me wishing me a great new year and those that post Facebook messages to make me smile. Friends that call me sister and truly treat me like one. Students that laugh, smile and question why Saint Nick left money in socks, but eagerly write letters to him asking for an education, sheep, lollipops and cars.

I don’t have much. But I do have a purpose. I do know that music can convey the real meaning of Christmas is lyrics like: ““Go tell it on the mountain that Jesus Christ is born.” “Angels we have heard on high sweetly singing ov’r the plains. And the mountains in reply echoing their joyous praise. Glooooooooooooooooooria. In excelcius Deo.” “God rest ye merry gentlemen. Let nothing you dismay. Remember Christ our Savior was born on Christmas day. To save us all from Satan’s powers when we had gone astray. Oh tidings of comfort and joy.” We give gifts to remember the greatest gift given to us out of love (John 3:16-17). Gifts may be stuff. But they are part of how we show love to one another.

I’m appreciative of all the care packages that I have received. The stuff that conveys love and good wishes. I look forward to when those that I know are coming will finally arrive. However, I do look around my room and wonder where all the stuff I do have comes from. How has it accumulated and why? What will I do with it all when I leave? Stuff is stuff. What gives it value is the people that make it memorable.



No comments:

Post a Comment