Sunday, April 17, 2016

Confession: I am a kid magnet. 5 April 2016


            I do not know when this super power first came to me, but I am pretty sure it doesn’t have anything to do with kryptonite or chemical experiments. I don’t know how to turn off this seemingly magnet field, but am completely sure it is a critical part of who I am. My heart surges, my eyes light up, and, no matter how tired I am, I seem to just draw kids to me.
            Take today for example. Being a holiday I was invited to a teacher’s house for kusme, traditional celebratory food for a Saint’s Day. I went with one other teacher after school. I’ve never been to this teacher’s house and it is in an area of town I don’t venture into often. It is out of my way from most of my things. However, I had barely sat down, when an 18 month old in a white puffy dress waddled over with big brown eyes. She isn’t at an age to speak, but has mastered the customary raising of eyebrows and head for “yes.” It didn’t take long for her to be sitting in my lap. Soon her identical twin sister materialized near my elbow. I have never seen these two beautiful girls before, yet it doesn’t take much more than eye contact for them to come up to me.
            This is not a one-time occurrence.
            I’ve had a kid come up and purposely sit in my lap at a wedding in a different town. Kids always seem to be yelling “Josie” wherever I go, even out to villages in all directions. I’ve made more folded paper cootie catchers on buses here than anywhere else in my whole life. Last weekend while waiting for a volleyball game to start in a town about an hour away, I soon had a group of kids telling me about their school and wanting to try to do exploding fist bumps for the first time. And that is just some of the times that have happened in Ethiopia.
            Some days I roll my eyes and wish I could just walk a block being invisible. But most days I just have to smile and realize that this power also gives me great joy. Joy in remembering children’s innocent, complete trust as they leap off sidewalks to be caught and twirled. Joy that I may not have made any difference in the classroom, but at least some kids still think I am fun. Happiness from their laughter is contagious to instantly make me feel better. Comfort that I am not alone.
            Other teachers laugh too as kids come padding towards me with wide arms for twirls or booooshes (fist bumps). Some comment that they have lived in town much longer than me and none of the kids know their names. Others mention that I am famous and known everywhere. Still others attribute it solely to my white skin.
            I just shrug and let them in on a little secret: Magnets attract to each other. I am one part of the magnet and the kids are another. Together we just kind of come together. They bring happiness and joy. They may have their obnoxious, rude, tiring moments, but they also ask the best questions, radiate with gratitude and know how to see joy in the little moments. I just hope that I can do the same and as long as their eyes continue to light up when they see me, I’ll be happy for my little super gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment