Friday, July 11, 2014

Questions Getting Answered


I GET TO LEARN TIGRINYA!!!! I AM GOING TO TIGRAY!!!!
 So, today was the exciting revealing of which language we will be placed in after PST. This is so we can start focusing on the language we will need for two years. I am one of the few who know what region I will be in as Tigrinya is only spoken in Tigray! This is a northern region, with mountains and a heavy Italian presence. I AM PUMPED! This is also the region of Queen of Sheba, castle ruins, and varied climate!
     But before I get all excited about something three months out, I wanted to post some of the questions y’all have facebooked or asked me. These are great questions. They will answered from Addis. I will have to update some after going to Butijira! Keep the questions coming!

What is the food like?
The food is amazing! Especially if you like spicy. Injera is their flat bread that they tear and scoop up everything, like chapatti for Tanzanians. As it is made from fermented grain it has a sour taste and a bubbly sponge like appearance. It is odd by itself, but makes the spicy food unique! I have had some amazing goat with injera and it is fantastic! There are lots of spicy meet sauces that are traditionally served with injera. I try everything, but don’t always take seconds. There is a flat bread pizza place right up the road that is decadent. They roll out the crust and make it right as you order it so it is fresh! Although I haven’t had any, there are some great draft beers that have become favorites for many on the trip. There are lots of garlic, rosemary, chilies, potatoes used.

What are the people like?
Ethiopians are very hospitable and ready to smile. They love it when we speak Amharic with them and correct us as we go. It has been such a relief to be supported by so many. My language teacher, Fasica or Fasi, is always smiling, encouraging and ready to answer any questions. I am kindof bummed there isn’t the possible for her to be my language teacher in Butijira (Tigrenye is different), but feel so blessed to have had her. The Peace Corps staff from Ethiopia are wonderful, open, cheerful people. They explain all of our random questions patiently which is great! 

What is the weather like?
     They weren’t joking when they said rainy season. I was not anticipating what it has been like and this is the only the beginning. At least once a day we have an epic, down pouring thunder and lightning storm. There are bursts of blue sky and sunshine with temperatures probably in the mid 70s. In the morning and evenings it gets COLD! Like put on a sweatshirt kindof of cold!

Any big bugs?
I haven't seen any big bugs here. There were big bugs at the Natural History Museum in DC that were sick but not here. Here we have Mosquitos and flies that are pretty atypical. The few spiders I saw were smaller than a penny. The coach roaches ((few) have been about the size of my middle finger nail. I will keep a look out for them.

What are the houses like?
There are lots of shack houses built from sheets of metal. The other houses are made of concrete. I will know more about houses when I get to Butijira and am out of the city with slums and hotels around.

So, tonight I am repacking my bags and taking a long hot shower. Tomorrow I am heading out on a 2.5 hour bus ride to Butijira where I will meet my host family at a hotel for lunch and then go to my new home! I am not sure if my family will speak Amharic or Tigrinya so I will have to wait and see. So far all of my language training has been in the former, but I will be learning the later in intense classes starting on Monday. It is going to be an adventure for sure!  


*Remember these thoughts  and opinions are all mine and not affiliated with Peace Corps or Ethiopia!

No comments:

Post a Comment