Saturday, September 20, 2014

PST Learnings Sept. 18, 2014


        Today I finished my last training class as a Peace Corps Trainee (PST). Tomorrow I dress up all cute, go to the US Embassy, and get sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer. The following day I go to my home for the next two years and get settled in before teaching. Someone once told me life is like driving. Usually you need to look forward and plan ahead so you know where you are going, but every once in a while you need to glance in your rear view mirror to see where you have been. Here is the rear view of the past three months, of learning about myself, others, and life.

1. Difference between needs and wants
A need is to "require something because it is essential or important." A want is a "desire for something." I've always been frugal with money or asking for anything, but I have realized the differences between these two things more drastically in the last three months. The contrast between first world American Facebook statuses and my current living environment could be a source of this difference. Or my desire to integrate into this community more causes the difference between the worlds to become more apparent when I hear someone mention them or think them myself. My daily needs of safe drinking water, food, and bathroom are constantly being evaluated, while those were often taken for granted back home. State-side "needs," like wifi, hot water showers, and reliable electricity are now considered luxurious wants. Yes, I am human and want things (see learning point number 5) but I am learning the peace and joy of understanding the importance of not fixating on wants. There is a safe peace when I realize my needs are met and I am doing okay.

2. Appreciate what you have not what you are missing
This piggy backs on the aforementioned topic. I am so appreciative of my water filter and have stopped thinking longingly of safe tap water or ice (difference between need and wants). I love my one room in a busy house in Butajira, even though it was missing soundproof walls and lack of bug control. I appreciate my own outlet, instead of thinking about how rooms in America have multiple outlets everywhere. But I also look at the nonmaterialist things I don't have here. I am missing so many birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, and special occasions that I would love to celebrate with my family and friends. But I focus on all the new birthdays and holidays I get to celebrate with new friends. Many of my friends are going to grad school or having fun decorating classrooms (y'all are awesome), but I'm not. My life right now is so different from people that I am used to sharing experiences with, it is hard some days to not compare myself and be appreciative for what crazy random adventure God is taking me on.

3. Parent-isms
Maybe it's from having a two-year old brother or hanging out with people who are different from me, but sayings that my parents told me over and over and over again keep popping up in my mouth and taking me by surprise. When Baba would cry and scream about something I would say, "Use your words." Or "No means no." Or "Crying and begging get you no where with me." Even though he couldn't understand my English, he did understand that I was serious and wasn't going to give in. He stopped crying. If my friends were busy or curfew had brought me inside, but no one was doing anything, the sayings "entertain yourself" or "if you say you are bored you get chores" kept me on the lookout for something new to do or learn. It was because of this I saw the full process of killing a chicken. "It's okay to fail, but not to give up" kept me going with hard study days. "We all have different skills" and "_____ needs this more than you" prevented quick judgments and comparisons and led to respectful relationships, and letting things just slide off me. These are just some of my parents' phrases from years and years ago have come up these months. It just goes to show that words do have the power to change and influence an individual years after you say them.

4. Community
Back home I would consider living in multiple communities. One would be my church community and the other my school community of friends. In both situations individuals supported each other and cared about each other. Here community commitment is evident in everything. Neighbors visit each other for hours at a time with the host always offering something to eat and drink. Kids are looked after by the community while playing all over town. If someone is sick, everyone knows about it and is helping in someway. It may seem overwhelming and obnoxious for everyone to ask how you are feeling as they heard you were sick one day, but it is also comforting to know so many people are looking out for you. In Butajira there were so many people who would ask about my day, how learning Tigrigna was going, and how my host family was. It didn't matter that we both were heading places, what was more important was the person standing in front of you now. Valuing the person (God's creation) instead of time (man's contraption) is a lesson I never want to forget.

5. Odd Quirks
1) I speak really softly in Tigrigna and in groups. I have been told to speak louder on more than one occasion. 2) I love looking at cloud formations. They are just so beautiful and cool. It's like God is showing off His impromptu creativity. 3) Children rejuvenate me. Even if they take so much energy, I forget about being tired and just be with them. 4) I have random cravings. Common random food cravings are pancakes, ham, toast, string cheese, Everything Crackers, and chocolate. Common other cravings: embroidering, books, Pandora music and newspapers. I recognize these are all wants, but it is so odd battling them. 5) Skirts are my “go to” outfit. While pants are acceptable for women, I still find myself wearing skirts 98% of the time. 6) Letter writing is cathartic. Sure it may take weeks or months to receive letters, I absolutely love and treasure receiving and writing letters.

6. Differences in cultures is just different, not bad.
Ethiopians have taught me that Americans never fill their glasses all they way (water tension is key here), say "thank you," "please," and apologize for everything, and that one should respect and pay attention to greetings, and coffee is a process. I've learned that Ethiopians tend to be more flexible with time, use a different clock to tell time, do not mean to offend with direct commands, cook with lots of oil and consider soccer/football of high importance. While all of this is different from what I've been accustomed to, it doesn't make the behaviors bad or wrong. It is just a different or new way of living life. Through respect we can learn from each other instead of just getting frustrated at a culture clash.

7. It's been a semester of learning.
Academically I have learned so much about so many topics. I'm not going to spend super long talking about this, as you have heard most of it before. From education trainings to medical training I have learned more about more topics than I thought I would at training. Obviously language has also been a huge learning curve. This past Monday, I took my language placement test and was relieved at how much I could actually do know. No, I am not fluent. No, I am not the best. Yes, I still have a long way to go. But I passed what PC required me to do and feel confident going into site. Personally I have learned so much about my own personality (quirks, morals, values, ethics, etc) and that of others around me. I love to listen while others love to talk. I am behind the pop culture curve, but can bring Disney quotes into so many things. I am not materialist, while others are. There are just so many wonderful differences and newnesses to make learning an everyday experience.

PST has been hard. But it was the good kind of hard. Like the third day of practice for a new season. You know you are going to hurt, by you have to keep going so it becomes familiar. I feel conditioned and ready, but know that game days are different than practice. I go to my site where I will be put to the test. I know I will get frustrated, confused, lost, and discouraged. That's just life. Fouls are part of the game. If one focuses on being behind he or she always will be. I'm not going to focus on the score, but just giving my heat, energy, time, commitment and dedication to being the best me I can be. We will all see how the season of Peace Corps service goes.

Please pray for patience, understanding, learning and growth. I do not have wifi at site so I don't know how blogging will go from here. I love you all and am so blessed to have you all supporting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment