Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Universals Nov 18


                  There are some things that I’ve noticed in Ethiopia that occur in America too. However, how I deal with them has shifted based on where I am. 
For example, bananas going brown. The feeling of not wasting anything is a universal. No matter the cost of the original item, it is important that it is used while it is still good. Throwing out food because it wasn’t eaten quickly enough is a shame. In the States whenever bananas started to go brown I would whip out a batch of banana muffins or a loaf of banana bread. This week I attempted to make banana pancakes without a nonstick pan. It sort of worked out. This also goes for tomatoes, carrots, cabbage and other veggies from market day.
         
           Craving certain foods when sick. I don’t know about the rest of you, but when I am getting over something and start to want food again (who really likes food when they are sick?) I have cravings for certain things. When I was sick in Butajira I wanted my Grandma’s Cindy’s chicken noodle soup. It’s thick, rich, creamy, and delicious. Yesterday as I was getting over something I ate the day before, I craved shiro. Shiro? The thick, slightly spicy, paste eaten with injera or bread. Why? I don’t know, but it sure did taste good.
          
         Drink Tea = Medicine. Yesterday when I had to cancel plans to stay in bed, the first advice given to me was “Drink tea.” My landlady made sure that I had plenty of tea before leaving me alone. This happens state side too. When I would wake up with a cough or not feeling well, Grandma would always give me a large, hot cup of tea first thing. I’m not sure about the medicinal qualities of this drink, but it seems to help. 

                   Sports are serious. I’ve grown up in the world of sports. My brothers and dad talking about so and so and some statistic in football, basketball and mostly baseball. I don’t know all the statistics, names and facts like they do, but I could be okay at a baseball game. However, this week I realized my incompetence in this field. Teacher friends taught me all about the Ethiopian football team (whose lost to Algeria 1-3 on Sunday) and who was who for Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea. Grade Nine boys taught me all the catch phrases for the great WWE wrestlers complete with the entrance moves. They then tested me on them. Being a fan, supporting something grander than one person, is universal. The focus of such fan-dom may be different though.
        
         Clothes don’t wash themselves. Laundry didn’t really bother me ever. Growing up it was my weekend chore to wash and fold all the laundry for the Sexton 5. It didn’t bother me. I’d pop in a movie and get it done. In college I went to grandparents’ every other weekend and did it there. If an emergency came up I would get some quarters and do it on my own. The laundry machine is a luxury I will never take for granted again. Once I get started on the bucket washes, it’s not that bad. The numbing activity lets your mind wander to other things. It’s getting started that’s a drag. It also is important to do it when there is water and the sun is out, two things that sporadically aren’t reliable.
         
         School Vacations. Some schools in the states cancel school for hunting or harvest time. Administration realizes the importance of these and would rather not have students skip. As rainy season has ended a couple months ago, it is time for harvest. However, the sound of thunder rumbles. The fear of a crop getting spoiled by the rain in a highly agricultural environment leads to school being cancelled Monday – Thursday this week. Students are needed to help their families. However, unlike the States where the make up time is scheduled throughout the school year, here they want to make it up as soon as possible. So, I have school Friday – Sunday this week and next weekend. Which means I will teach from November 21 – December 5 without a day off. There would be a mutiny if weekends were jeopardized in America!   
                 Birthdays are cause for celebration. On Sunday I went to a 3 year old’s birthday party. He was dressed adorably in new clothes (dark jeans, white button up shirt, black suspenders, bow tie). I expected there to be lots of kids around like all birthday parties I’ve been too. Instead, there were mostly adults sitting around and talking. As soon as I got inside I was given an over-flowing plate of hambasha, popcorn (fandusha), animal crackers, and candy. We then sat around and talked for a while. They put a sparkler in a fresh ambasha, lit two candles, and a candle shaped like a number 3 for pictures. However, they didn’t have the kid blow them out. Instead he had to cut the hambasha. Hats that annoy kids with the plastic string around then chins, numbered candles, song, pictures and grandparents coming are some ways birthdays are celebrated the same here and there.

                 I suppose this blog could also be called: Things I’ve Learned About Myself. 1. I hate wasting food. 2. My food cravings have shifted. 3. Tea is amazing! 4. Love sports. 5. I dislike washing clothes by hand. 6. School is throwing off my grove. 7. Life is a good thing to celebrate. But, that is too self-centered to convey all I am thinking. I’ve lived and traveled through multiple cultures, but I haven’t seen or experienced them all. Reflecting on the similarities and differences between two, sparks interest in learning about others. How do people adapt to the availability of food? What do you do when bananas or other food start to get brown? What random cravings do you have? What food or drinks are your comforts when you are sick? Who are you a fan of? How do you adapt to changes in your schedule? What does your culture value over education? How are birthdays celebrated? Are they just for kids or adults too? I smile as I think that I’ve only been in site for 7 weeks. How much more will I learn and adapt in the next 89?











No comments:

Post a Comment