Friday, January 9, 2015

8 January 2015 
Teskel: A Funeral of Sorts

       Shade relieves my sun-kissed slightly glistening skin. The kilometer long walk on the 2 o’clock blacktop wasn’t too bad as my friend (a teacher from the preparatory school) was informing me about historical and geographical features. The crowded bus where I climbed over an elderly man and no windows were opened, was enjoyable, as Mohammed (a fifth grader going to Shire) found delight in speaking to a forengi (foreigner).          
       The shock of getting off the bus 10 (?) kilometers past the school was an adventure when my buddy started to lead me on a path barely marked out in what I never thought was anything. Turns out it is the entrance for the village called Zero Zero. On the first dirt path, I had to avoid getting skewered by bulls coming down. The valley was beautiful until I realized I had to climb up rocks surroundings it (while in a skirt) to get to the funeral ceremony at the top. Once on the top I sat in the sun with many teacher buddies before continuing. 
The area where the ceremony takes place is as wide as about 50 men, shoulder to shoulder, long and 40 wide. I know this because people are sitting around the outskirts on benches or tarps in rows.
         Those sitting in the middle and around the opposite side (as the teachers and I am) appear to have a small bush in front of each of them, constructed from pruned olive branches. We are sitting on benches constructed by long 2x6’s of alternating colors propped on small sawhorses like stands. The shade? It is from a canopy of branches formed by laying logs on cut tree poles, which branches are laid across. I have to bend to avoid getting hit or disrupting the contraption. My western mind smiles at the beauty and how wonderful this would be for an outside wedding reception----if slightly taller. 

         After a prayer for the decease, where I only understand the list of saints called upon and the name of the family, food is distributed. If feeding the five thousand was as synchronized as this, I am no longer shocked everyone was able to get food in a short amount of time. Those sitting on the ground spruce up their small bushes. Teenagers come around and give everyone a folded piece of injera. My eyes are shifted as other boys and men come around the benches with cups and plates. I am hesitant about the cups as I saw the barrels of sewa cracked opened, but am reassured there is water. Sewa is a locally made alcoholic drink that is used for all traditional ceremonies, but is not something I prefer. Teachers have eaten with me enough times to know I don’t drink alcohol but still try to see if I take some. My yellow, plastic plate is soon covered with teff injera, deep red burbary sauce and a heap of meat (my guess goat, but it could have been cow). Corn injera comes around to be balanced in a heap in my left hand as I start to dig into my meal. While I wasn’t able to prevent an extra piece of corn injera being added to my hand, I am able to smile to servers and prevent anymore from being added to plate. I finish everything without getting a drop on my white t-shirt or new Christmas skirt (thanks Grandma!), but I’m feeling very very full. A walk back to town would be perfect right about now. 

         After washing a hand (only use one to eat with) off in some water and drying with some leaves, I start to leave with a friend and a couple teachers. Even though I didn’t have any sewa, I trip and am unbalanced going down the steep rocks. It didn’t help that there were donkeys, cows, camels, and people carrying injera on their heads coming up the way. We laugh all the way down and are relieved when leveled, rock free asphalt is under foot again. 


         When I woke up this morning, I had no idea my afternoon would consist of going to a teskel: a ceremony to celebrate a person after 40-100 days from his/her passing (this one was 40 days). But that’s the way life goes. As my teacher buddy mentioned on the way up the mountain: “This is an exchange of culture that Peace Corps wants you to share.” And my other teacher buddy mentioned on the way down: “Now, you know a little more about our culture.” Yes. Yes I do. I see how they value life and commemorate death in ways that are respectful and heartfelt. As the prayer was weaving through the white cloaked people, a baby goat was calling frantically and hopping around trying to find its mother. The vibrate green branches were overhead. The picture of my colleague’s father was on a table. Life and death together.

No comments:

Post a Comment