Monday, December 14, 2015

Times Fly 01 December 2015


It’s a routine in my classes to start by writing the dates on the board. First I write the one students are accustomed to in the Ethiopian Calendar (today is 21/03/08 EC), and then my own. It’s a simple thing to expose the students to differences around the world, but also recognize that a day is a day no matter what you call it. Today I had to pause before writing 01/12/15, as my mind had to work overtime to believe that this was true.

How is it already December? The final month of my year off of American soil?! My final month of being 24?! Didn’t I just start school and call my parents for their birthdays?

I’ve been told multiple times by reliable people that the second half of anything often flies by quicker than the first half. At this point, I totally agree! It still seems so recent that my parents visited me. I haven’t had time to feel bad about missing the holiday season. Classes are running smoother with lessons already planned out and routines in place. Life is flying by.

It’s also being propelled as questions about post Peace Corps life become more and more common from friends here and back home. When I joined Peace Corps it was all I could think of doing. I had been telling people since 4th grade that I was going to teach abroad. I didn’t have a plan for what to do once I finally did that. Honestly, I still don’t.

I don’t have anything finalized. I’m looking into coming back to my beloved green Pacific Northwest; however, teaching jobs for the 2016-2017 school year haven’t been posted yet (or at least I don’t have internet access to check for it). Some friends want to continue teaching/working abroad, but I need to come home for a spell before packing bags anywhere. This is the last month of the year I had everything planned out. The next year is full of uncertainty and unknowns. All I know is I’m resting in the trust of God to lead me where He needs me to go to do what He needs me to do.

Many people when they get close to an end, start counting down. Counting down to Christmas. Count down to the final buzzer. I’m sure there are some PCVs counting down the days till they fly to Addis Ababa for their final medical and closing paperwork. I’m not one of those.

I’m still making each day count. Counting up all the blessings. All the kids that I twirl in a day. All the laughs my students bring me. All the moments with teacher buddies when we both teach each other something new. Counting up all the times I get called by name in other towns. All the times someone calls me by name and not “forengi.” All the times someone praises my feeble Tigrigna and rejoices when I try to learn more.

However, it’s a balancing act. Part of me misses America and eagerly awaits the day when I can take a hot shower, eat bell peppers, and text vigorously to friends and family. Part of me wants to put it off to enjoy more invitations to peoples’ houses, relish coffee ceremonies and fresh injera, twirl kids without a care, and teach my large, energetic classes of brown eyed students. Time has put a part of my heart in both places.


On the way home from school today, we passed a dead sheep. One of the teachers I was with mentioned that there is nothing certain in life. The others agreed. Life is full of uncertainties. What’s important is to not worry, dread, or become anxious to fill that uncertainty with one’s own desires and wishes. But rather, enjoy wherever one is (even if that’s on a path with a dead sheep), try to see God’s blessings in it, and trust that He will take care of the uncertainty.

No comments:

Post a Comment