Monday, May 30, 2016

I’m Not Changing the World 16 May 2016



I've been told multiple times that what I am doing in Peace Corps is honorable, impactful and world changing. Three adjectives that promote Noble Prize winners, political agendas and missionaries into action. They are postive adjectives. We all want to be important. To have our work be recognized as having an impact. To know that we made a difference. As I meander on the dirt path towards school, I realize that I am not changing the world, my impact is invisible and honor is much more complex than moving half-way around the world.

I know when someone tells me, 'Jess, you are changing the world!' he or she doesn't really believe that my impact in Ethiopia is as far reaching as every surface habitated by oxygen. The 'world' incorporates all landmasses and the vastness of cultures of people on it. Very few things that happen in one place around the globe truly affect the rest. An example would be Mount Saint Helen's errupting which, some scientists believe, is impacting climate change around the globe. I'm not a volcanic erruption so I'm not really changing the world at all.

If instead of looking at the vast world, I look at the worlds I live and interact with that is plenty of places where the potential for impact comes in.



No comments:

Post a Comment