Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Named For A Reason (and maybe a Purpose?) 31 May 2016


Names are important. They identify the individual from a group. They help distinguish lineage even if many of us aren’t in line for a throne. Many in the 21st century give their sons and daughters a name that they like the sound of, just like their parents did for them, so the meanings behind the names are lost, unknown, and/or unconsidered.
When I was born in Scotland, my parents took a while to decide what to name me (they weren’t expecting a girl, so they only had boy names planned out). They both hold true to the belief that not only do they need a name, but that there needs to be a reason behind the name given. It will be the name written on God’s hands and the one that will be used for the rest of their lives and mine.  While my mom thought Fiona and Shona were beautiful, Scottish names, my dad vetoed those for Jessica. I thought for a while he was slightly crazy to name me the most popular name in the US (granted they didn’t know that at the time), until he told me the reasoning. He had always wanted a daughter, but was slightly pessimistic about that becoming a reality as his older brothers had only had boys just like several generations before them. Jessica, coming from Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice’s daughter, means ‘priceless treasure.’ The merchant had everything, but nothing could be given to him for his daughter. My dad felt the same way about me; hence, I am Jessica.
Names have meanings in Ethiopia that everyone knows. Whenever someone introduces him or herself to me, I also get a mini-lesson on what the name means. Tesfay means ‘light or hope.’ Almaz means ‘diamond.’ Gebre means ‘follower or servant’ so Gebre Michael is ‘follower of St. Michael.’
A little over a month ago, Tesfay, one of my friends and fellow teacher, decided that I had lived in Ethiopia long enough, so I needed an Ethiopian name. He first asked me what name I liked, but I insisted that he give me a name as he knew the reasons. So, after consulting with other teachers and staff he game me the name Meseret. When I asked why, he responded “Meseret means ‘cornerstone or base.’ You are the base of something new.”
         I’ve been called lots of name while being in Ethiopia that made me roll my eyes (like Forengi, China, Stephani, You), or laugh outloud (like, Jelly, Josie, Yogi, Jon Cina, Jonni) and smile (like Messy, Jessie, Jessie Bruce).  Throughout all the names, there is something important about being known. I travel to big cities and hate that I don’t know anyone. I love coming back to small Selekleka where everyone yells my name.
          I have been named for a purpose. We all have. There is meaning behind a name whether that be a given name or a nickname. We partially get to decide that purpose, but how cool can it be to live into a name.


No comments:

Post a Comment