Saturday, January 21, 2012

Hakuna Matata

Timon and Pumba were onto something when they coined their famous moto. Over the past two weeks I have seen how true it is not not worry.

I have had exchange student siblings before. I have seen them come into a new culture and tried to help them in anyway I could to adapt. However, I have never been on the other end of it. Before coming I was worried that I would be in a host family that wouldn't work and have no kids. No worries! I have both. My host father, called Baba, works at a safari company and knows English pretty well. He also explains stuff in swahili which has really helped. Mama works at her shop of childrens' clothes. It has been so much fun getting to talk with her both in engligh and Swahili and make her laugh. This past week we even made a song while cooking. Peace in 13 and sadly went off to boarding school for 5 months. I am sad she is gone but am praying she is learning tons so she can be an engineer. Glory is 10 and fluent in english and tagging around. She is so fun to wrestle, joke, laugh and learn each others language. This past week I helped her with order of operations. She was amazed as she used a calculator to check her work for the first time. Brittney who goes by Angel is my buddy who is 5 and know little English. She has really taught me that language doesn't have to be a barrier. Her favorite games like coloring and being flung in air, involve little language. She has been my inspiration to learn more. Each day I try to form a different question to ask her to see if she understands. Most of the time she does which is really cool. Iglesia is 16 months and has just now gotten use to the first white people he has ever seen. Hopefully he doesn't forget me over the weekend. Asia, the house girl, isn't related, but she is so much fun. She usually just laughs shyly when I say something in Swahili but then replies. It has become clear in the past few days that I am no longer a guest in the house, but a family member. I have been reminded not to worry about the people.

Another concern that was raised as I was left was the food. I love it! It mostly concerns with meat, rice, veggies, and fruit for every meal. The most interesting thing that I have had was a four inch full fish. I had to pull back the skin in order to eat it. We also have shocked our Mama by eating traditional food with fingers and liking it. Fruit also tastes wonderful here. One of my friends doesn't like bananas in the states, but enjoys them greatly here. We drink bottled water that tastes better thank American and chai that is super fantastic, Thankfully I have not gotten sick from food like others in the group.

I have become a master at bucket and bottle showers! No worry that there isn't any water working in the showers, because a bucket of stove boiled water and an old water bottle work fanatstically. Don't worry that people drive on the other side of the road on uncivilized rock and dirt roads without seat belts as the drivers all how everyone else is driving and magically doesn't get hurt. Don't worry about school, as we are learning so much both in and out of the classroom.

The biggest adaption was to not worry about time. If someone says that they will meet you at nine in America you expect to meet at least five minutes before. Here if you say nine you may me ready at nine thirty at the earliest or eleven at the latest. There really isn't any rush. People value each other and know that you will come to fulfill your word eventually. Hakuna Matata!

I hope you all are able to just set aside some worry to enjoy some time being free. Living under the grace and love of Christ it will open up a whole new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment