Sunday, January 8, 2012

Made It Safe And Sound

With a bag weighing 38 pounds and a backpack weighing 25 I left on a wild adventure. Amazingly enough everything went smoothly as planned. Our lay overs were as long as expected and our flights a little shorter due to a pilot admititting to flying fast! But oh what and adventure.

Quick highlights of the trip:
Nothing was lost or broken
Ate two decent meals on the two long flights
Played tons of games in airports
Watched movies and colored
Made all connections with no delays or complications



Looking out of the window coming into Dar Es Salaam was amazing. Green trees and grass was every where thanks to the recent floods. Flying into Kilimanjaro everything was dry. The only unsparatic trees were used as borders around houses. Driving to Arusha was fantastic. There were goats and cows grazing at ease on the side of the road. People from all classes were walking in bright colors. Corn and sunflowers grew in the same field. Every once and awhile there would be a town with speed bumps that made a snail seem fast. The majority of people walked any where and everywhere. Those on motorcycles and vans loved to drive anywhere and everywhere. This combination of those two made me thankful I was sitting in the back.

After checking into our hotel we went exploring....don't worry we have been reassured that it is safe to go walking in the day and I was with a friend. The small shops along the side of the dirt walk was amazing. There were many people roasting corn on a fire along someone selling shoes, next to a pineapple stand and across from a mattress stand. It was here that I realized how I have been apart of the majority my entire life. Amongst the streets of dark skin I look like a splotch of white paint. People would change to speeking in English to try to get our attention and no doubt our business as well. What is amazing is that English spoken here is pretty good;however, after practicing some swahili it is clear I have a long way to go. Oh it's all part of the adventure.

In short I love Africa. The weather is nice and warm all the way to reach my fingers and toes. The food is amazingly good. I keep learning more and more and more although classes haven't started yet. My camera is going crazy!

PS I know it is like no big deal or nothing, but just so you know Emma Watson (Harry Potter's friend Hermione Granger) met up with us in London to Africa. She didn't have to deal with long customs lines and got to go on her journey.

1 comment:

  1. Yea!!! Lots of answered prayers--and more to come! can you post pictures?

    mom

    ReplyDelete