Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Zoo Aug 28, 2015



                   Beautiful creatures in a pseudo natural environment. Blue green feathers, brown and tan-tinted skin, trunks, manes and gills fill the exhibits. Glass, fences, rope swings keep them in. In a place to be observed by hundreds a day, thousands a week, millions a year. Zoo animals. Captivating membership and field trips since the ancient kings had menageries. 
Somedays I can relate to the polar bears, giraffes and baboons trapped in zoos around the world. Kids sit on my open doorstep or stand on chairs to peer in. Just staring. Like my natural moments are worthy of study and observations. I write letters. They watch. I make lunch. They watch. I read a book. They watch.  
Like the giraffe, elephant and other larger animals I occasionally leave my room to walk out in the open. My movements are watched by many. Some goggle as I twirl kids. Some call out "forgengi" to see if I will turn my head. Many just stare. 


                      Some days it becomes a feeling I can't escape. Like the fish that know eyes are following it wherever it goes or does. Sometimes I'm like a chimp who still has fun, forgetting the people pointing or talking about it. 
My new analogy of life? It's a zoo. Sometimes you do the watching and other times you are being watched. You adapt to new environments. Sometimes you are surrounded by similar creatures, other times you are a penguin surrounded by peacocks. 
But in the midst of different colors, cultures, habits one thing remains. The zookeeper cares and provides for all. He recognizes and appreciates the uniqueness of differences. He watches with a protective, caring, genuine interest. 
So, I may be different. I may be in a new environment. But we all are, in one way or another. "This world is not my home." Good thing the keeper of my life has everything under control.











No comments:

Post a Comment