Tuesday, September 1, 2015



People
 August 13, 2015

         










Our lives are interrupted, impacted and influenced by other people. Even if one is an introvert, people come to various parts of our live for various lengths of time. Many people just register as a blurr of color—like the driver next to you or a person walking in the opposite direction on the sidewalk. Some people stay with you so long that first I encounter is forgotten behind a torrent of other memories. They no longer are just fellow Homo-sapiens but un-biological siblings, significant others, and/or in-laws.
         
Tonight running out from deluge I met two Americans at the doorway of my hotel. Being from the Los Angeles area, they were relishing the awe of floodgate opening rains can bring upon a person. They are here for a week to train teachers to promote interactive learning in classrooms and active learners. We ended up talking for a while about teaching, cultures, transitioning through culture shock, traveling, random cravings, and various things in-between. 
Rob and Jolenne are wonderful individuals doing great things. They have traveled all over the world doing different projects. Yet to me, they were nearly just on the doorstep as I slipped in.
         
For the past three weeks or so, I've been helping 19 fabulous new education trainees in Addis Alem, one of three sites of trainees. These 19 trainees have become great friends. I've hung out with may of them outside of the classroom, and loved seeing them all improve inside the classroom. However, none of them are learning Tigrigna. Thus tomorrow when they get their future site announcements, none will be in my region. 
Short term friends are hidden blessings. Rob and Jolene came into my life on a night I was going to spend alone in a hotel room doing nothing. And the future volunteers will not be close to me, many will become those I text or call to see how things are doing. 
I could fill this blog with the importance of long term friendships. Those that were started pre-preschool and continue strong today. Those that were established through the wild middle school years and haven't faded. Those individuals who became dear to me in the short, but intense, four years I was at Whitworth. Those that have been on a 13 month adventure with loopy highs and lows. And all the relationships with family members. 
Friends do fade. My myspace page from oh so long ago would probably be the best representation of that. People come in and out of our lives at different paces. It's not bad, just the way it is.

         So instead of contemplating when the next person is going to leave, I'm going to focus on the time when he or she is right I front of me. With Rob and Jolene that may be all I ever have. The future is completely unknown, so valuing the present and taking advantage to spread friendship is important. 
The last thirteen months have been rough. We all knew they would be. But with friends I've been able to get thought it with a smile and optimism. So, thank you. Thank you for all your thoughts and supports. I'm eager to see how the next 14 months go!

No comments:

Post a Comment