Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Plane Sept 20,2015


          I am cruising at 20,000 feet in the air. Spots of white puff balls glide below me, casting shadows on the rugged earth beneath. I'm the only white person on this plane. Amharic and Tigrigna are being muttered through the cabin.
         When I was young flying was a sensation. The takeoff was a kick off to another adventure, proving that the lines at ticket booths and security were worth it. Flight was a rarity that made window seats the prize possession. It was a break from the car road trips our family would take. I've been a sworn in Peace Corps Volunteer for one year  and this is my 12th flight. The green and yellow seats, pineapple juice with snack, magazines, and even people working at the Axum airport are familiar, normal, but I still hold on to that childhood love and excitement of flying. That is what I've learned over and over again in Peace Corps: normal can be rewarding. I never get tired of kids yelling my name and running with arms open for a twirl. Erasing a blackboard to compose myself before a class is calming and exciting as I don't know what the 42 minutes will hold. Going on walks to the same places but having different people call out to talk, share, cup of tea, or walk alongside. The deluge of thunderstorms and the dry, hazy heat are predictable but still leave me in awe. I can look at the same stars every night, text the same people, listen to the rain daily and still find joy.
         We just encountered turbulence, though the pilot used “bumps” to explain. We are also descending into Addis. While many are clutching the handrails and praying their banana-like muffin stays down, I smile. I like that stomach drop found on airplane and roller coaster rides. This last year has had turbulence. Highs and lows that left me queasy on various levels. But it's through those that exciting new adventures can happen. The wheels have been lowered as Toby Mac continues to jam in my ears. This week I will be hanging out with 51 other volunteers that I started this adventure with. During our Mid Service Conference we will glance at the past year while looking expectantly at our final year. What will it hold? With a childlike excitement, I hold onto the future (and a pack of gum!).


No comments:

Post a Comment