Friday, October 16, 2015

Colorful Children October 1, 2015



“Jesus loves the little children. All the children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white they are precious in his sight.
Jesus loves the little children of the world.”

There is a picture floating around on a couple of teacher buddies’ phones of three hands: two rights and a left. The first one is of a warm, rich, soft brown. The middle one is white like milk. The last is deep, rich, dark brown. I’ll give you one guess who’s the middle one is.

The difference of my skin is something that has fascinated young children, older colleagues, and even patrons and matrons. I’ve had kids giggle as they hold my hand when the realization of differences dawns on them. They like flipping over my hand so my even whiter palm can be compared to theirs. Usually this leads to their buddies coming over to see what their skin looks like compared to mine. It isn’t that much different with my teacher friends. One shook my hand, another pointed out the stark difference between and soon my hand was being drug around for comparisons and laughter.

When I first came here, I loved the way others’ skin looked against mine in a hand shake. I would focus on the difference. Now, I look at the face more. I see the differences that make an individual unique. The crinkles by the eye to tell me when sarcasm is happening. The joy of seeing a friend.

Sometimes it is hard being the only one who is so starkly different. Sometimes I just want to blend into invisibility like I often was in the States. Sometimes I wish my tan, which was lost during rainy season, would come back stronger than ever. But most times I don’t realize my difference. I don’t realize others’ differences.

DC Talk paints the perfect picture of how I am experiencing life in their song “Colored People.”  As they state in their song “Pardon me, your epidermis is showing itself. I couldn’t help but note your shade of melanin. I tip my hat to the colorful arrangement ‘cuz I see the beauty in the tones of our skins.” There is beauty in the diversity if one takes the moment to recognize and appreciate it. When I first came to site, I admit that many of the children and adults looked vaguely the same to me. It was hard to learn names and keep people straight. But now, now I see the beauty of each person.

The song goes on to say “We got to come together and thank the Maker of us all. We’re colored people and we live in a tainted place. We’re colored people and they call us the human race.” Discrimination, harassment and stigmas have become all too familiar this year. My skin points me out as different. I often have to haggle down “forengi prices” to what the price of an item should be. But I know that Ethiopians in America are probably going through similar things, as they try to master a foreign language to fit into a new culture. It doesn’t take long to see this separation between Americans through the news reports. Individually we are different, collectively we are the human race and “by God’s design we are a skin kaleidoscope…Aren’t we all human after all?” Treating each other with equality is what “loving your neighbor” is all about.

“Well a day in the shoes of a colored blind man should make it easy for you to see that these diverse tones do more then cover bones as a part of our anatomy.” I wish this wasn’t true. I wish I could type that there is perfect equality and respect everywhere. That outer appearance doesn’t change the way people act towards each other. In some places that equality has been achieved. In other places, there is room for change.

There were five adorable gigglely girls playing in the compound earlier today. All of them under the age of five. Two of them are sisters a couple years apart. In the afternoon sun their laughter rang out clear and pure. Their colorful dresses bright and beautiful against the range of dark skin shades. Their plastic shoes clicking gently as we played tag and other games. They could care less about my skin color. They don’t care that I can only pick up pieces of their conversations. We can still have fun. We can still be friends. They can fall off the ledge and trust that I will catch them in a twirl.

Jesus loves all the children. The young ones that wiggle out of their mom’s arms to come get a twirl. The older ones that will sit in my classes and clubs this year. My peers who have passion in all other subjects. My landmom who I love like a grandma. The strangers and the friends. Color is beautiful. It takes all of them to show life. God loves all His creation through their stunning beautiful unique-ness. I’m glad I can see and learn that difference.



“See you had no choice which day you would be born.  Or the color of your skin or what planet you’d be on. Would your mind be strong? Would your eyes be blue or brown? Whether Daddy would be rich or if Mama stuck around at all. So if you find yourself in a better place. You can’t look down on the frown of the other’s guys face. You gotta stoop down low look him square in the eye and get a funny feeling you just might be dealing with the face of Christ.” Chris Rice Face of Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment