Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Ethiopian Classroom Context October 5, 2015


 While there are many teachers around the world, the job description isn’t complete unless you ask the follow up questions about where he/she is teaching at which grade. Each classroom is unique to the context in which it is found. Is it a Title One school? Is it charter, private or public? So, here is a little background of the context where I’m teaching again this year. The questions/topics were pulled from a session I helped lead this summer while training future Peace Corps teachers.

The Physical Classroom:
My rooms are about 15 feet by 20. There is one chalk board and a metal non-functioning television box in the front of the room. 70 students pile into 25-30 desks all facing the front. Chalk drawings decorate the walls from students left unattended the previous year. The windows open to help with ventilation. Some of the glass is broken. The students stay and teachers move to the next classes.
I try to arrange my students into T shaped table groups though it’s hard to rearrange with limited space. If I leave anything posted it most likely won’t be there for the next lesson when I need it. In order to save on time I have to map out my use of blackboard space. I’m lucky that none of my boards have gashing holes in them. Last year, when we had to use the science lab, I had to maneuver around two large holes in my board.

Resources:
            While there is a potential budget for supplies, I’ve only been issued chalk from my school. From my town I can get exercise books, pens, construction paper, printer paper, and tape. From larger towns I can find poster size paper and markers.
            Most of the resources that I use I make. I use plastic to cover my posters, making them usable for dry-erase marker fun. When teaching food labels, I’ve collected labels from various items so that student have practical and real things to work with. I bring in food when learning about nutrition and bones when they struggle with anatomy vocabulary. I plan far enough ahead that I can either make or substitute tangible resources that I need.

Student Profile

            Again this year, I have three sections with 70 Grade 9 students. The youngest student is 13 and the oldest is 40. Overall they average 16 years old. Their abilities range from kindergarten to above grade level. One of my students last year was able to take college classes over the summer as his English was advanced enough. While they are used to rote memory type learning, they are quick to try hands on activities. Anything with a competition is fun for them. Many students want to learn. They want their 30 minute -- 3 hour walk to school to count for something. Outside of the classroom they all have chores, help with farming, and some work around town.

Student Behavior:
            Like last year, this new group of students is slightly petrified of me. They are quiet, unresponsive, and very shy. After the “honeymoon” period wears off, I have no doubt that they will start talking off task, passing notes, and cheating like last year’s students did. I establish rules at the beginning of the year, but have to be strict and consistent with them throughout. I only call on people who have quietly raised their hands. Monitoring around the room helps with the talking. I will rip up tests and give zeros for cheaters. By the end, most students aren’t cheating any more.

Classroom Procedures:
            While homework is common in the states at this grade level, I try to limit my homework. I recognize that many of my female students will be working until they go to sleep once they return home. Homework is either for students who didn’t finish the class work in the time or for those that need extra help. It will usually be directly out of their textbooks which they have at home. If we are working on a project, students may need to do work at home, but that is their own responsibility.
            Taking attendance for 70 students is tricky and could take a good chunk out of the 42 minute class period. Last year I initialed exercise books so when I collected them I could see when students were in class. This year I am trying to do name tags that students wear. They take them at the beginning of the class and when they participate (ie raise hand, answer question, etc) I collect their name tag for the day and they get participation credit as well as attendance points. I’m also going to do more table group work so that I can have tables keep track of attendance for their own teams.

Assessment:
 I prepare short 5 question tests at the end of every unit. At the end of every three units I do a review and adapt the exam in the text book. After every three units is either a mid- or final exam so I make sure to have plenty review and practice time for those. Tests made by my school are comprised of 5 matching, at least 20 multiple choice and a couple fill in the blanks. I have asked over and over again to be involved in the process. By the end of last year I was getting to look at and edit the test. If there was something that I hadn’t taught my students I made sure it wasn’t on the test.

Grading:
             Each semester’s grade is broken down in the same manner: 5% Attendance 10% Assignment 10% Homework 5% Short Test 5% Short Test 25% Mid Exam, and  40% Final. Each department gives a short test in the week before the mid and final exam. Due to students missing class, I also give my students a short extra test. If students did take both I give them the better of the two scores. Homework tends to come from larger individual projects. Last year I used the letters they wrote to their American pen-pal students as a part of their homework grade. Some teachers will use one short test for both grades. If students miss the mid-exam or final I put a zero. Some teachers believe that I should put a score for what I think they will receive, but that isn’t morally aligned with my compass. Other teachers have one group assignment count for the student’s assignment grade. I shy away from this as only a couple students actually do the work in those situations.

Volunteer-School Relationship:
            Last year was kind of rough as the school expected me to know everything. I had to really ask around for a schedule of when meetings and holidays were. I often missed meetings and got reprimanded for not being there, even if no one had told me there was a meeting. I have a great relationship with all the staff. This year I am co-leading tutoring classes for grade 9 and grade 10 students with another English teacher. I’ve also been asked to help with a public speaking club with grade 11 and 12 students. Even though I’m only required to be there for my 2-3 classes a day, I stay my entire shift, and often into the next one. I remain open to start conversations and learn about others.

Long-Term Planning:
            Unlike the states where curriculum is clearly and logically mapped out, I have the pleasure of making mine up as I go. I first look through the unit and write down all the vocabulary, grammar and practical lessons. I then decide how many days I have for the unit. Then I group the lessons to fit into the time frame. I make sure before the mid-exam I have completed 3 units with unit test, reviewed, given 1-2 assignments and 2 short tests. I give out reports after the mid exam of students current grades in my classes in their exercise books. Before the final I complete another 3 units with unit tests, give 1-2 assignments and 2 short tests. Two weeks before final I collect exercise books for final tally of attendance, look at any assignments/homework done in those, and write in the grade as they stand. If students are missing anything I write exactly what they need to do to make up points before the final.


Sounds straightforward … then multiple it by 210 students!

No comments:

Post a Comment