Tuesday, June 30, 2015

365 days

Flight No 2327v left Spokane International Airport at 10:00 a.m. on 29/07/2014 to Seattle’s SEA-TAC. I had two bags checked that were barely under the 50 pound limit and a carry-on that would stay with me through my 5 hour layover and two flights that day to Washington D.C. I’d get into DC airport around midnight and take a taxi four miles to the hotel housing volunteers. Facebook may be able to pull up status reports and pictures from a year ago, but it can’t “calculate” what this last year has held. So, let’s look at the numbers.
12 teaching units were covered ranging from nationalities to HIV/Aids to hobbies. These units were broken down into 12 credits that I taught each week (3 classes x 4 periods per week). If I could find an empty class I took advantage of it. However, there was much, much more than what the book taught happening in 9E, 9I, and 9Q classrooms. Besides changing curriculum and adding to it, I was taught how to listen to students, read what their body language is saying, speak slowly, and write precisely and with awareness of limited board space. We found ways to make learning fun and enjoyable. There was a time for group work and a time when the individual had to shine. Time when translation is needed and when it becomes a crutch. We got through 12 units of grammar and vocabulary focusing on all the learning skills, but mostly focusing on individual’s needs to succeed while enjoying learning.
“G11” is the mark of a change for Peace Corps Ethiopia. We are starting off a new initiative called PELLA. While this program has three goals, overall it is to promote English in the school system by having volunteers be full-time teachers. Before this, volunteers were working alongside elementary teachers and doing clubs on their own. By us being the guinea pigs on many levels, it has been both exciting and irritating to be part of this new program. It has been a giant blessing to be part of something new and have such a great feedback for volunteers who come after us and will continue this program. However, sometimes we are seen as other volunteers who can go to trainings whenever expected without the reality of the school year being considered. Overall, I’m proud to be a G11 in Ethiopia. I’m also extremely pumped to be one of the eleven G11’s still in Tigray, the northern region of Ethiopia. While I miss the other four volunteers that left for various reasons and wish they were here, I’m glad to be serving along some great minds, passionate hearts, and dedicated individuals.
10 time-zones has been the hardest, most humbling, prayer-provoking, blessing. I’ve fought to get used to normal this year. While some friends are closer, having my immediate family and many friends so far away has been tough. There are only certain hours when phone calls, skype, and facebook messaging is possible, but even then sleep is usually compromised. Instead of sending text to those listed on my phone as favorites, I send up prayers while they sleep. I also trek to the post office as often as possible to send a letter for 10 birr. However, in a few days parents will step off plane to break the spell of time-zone barriers.
9 graders have captured my heart….maybe forever in the 9 months I had them. When I went into Whitworth’s School of Education I wanted to teach 3rd or 4th grade. Young enough to still want to learn, but old enough to know how go to the bathroom, tie shoes, and recognize letters and numbers. While I was never given a practicum in those grades, I fell in love with 5th and figured that would be what I would always teach. But these 9th graders have taught me the joy of teaching one subject instead of self-contained style. They are old enough to catch sarcasm, know respect, and young enough to still see the importance of education. We can play soccer at recess and talk about serious issues like discrimination in the classroom. While I know their English levels vary from 3rd to 9th grade level, and what I’m teaching isn’t taught to 9th graders in the states, older grades (5-8) are what I’ll be looking into teaching when I get back.
8 birr for fuul. While I cook many of my own meals, sometimes I’m just craving some good food. Fuul, a mix of beans and spices, is the perfect comfort food when rain comes and cuts out power or after a long day of teaching. This isn’t the only new craving being here has given me. While I originally detested injera, now I can’t go more than 3 days without eating some. I love the thick porridge called ga’at that must be homemade, and the orange, runny sauce called shiro with extra garlic in it. There is the torn up bread that you mix with spice, scrambled eggs and yogurt for special fata and the torn up pieces of injera called injera firfir. There’s delicious pieces of meat grilled to perfection called chakala tibbs when meat is allowed, and salata when it’s fasting time. Those 8 meals have kept me not only alive but oh, so happy. Sure, I still crave American processed foods, grapes, and saltines, but my tastes buds have been opened up to newness. (And, if worst comes to worst, it only takes 8 birr to get a stool sample and medicine for giardia.)
7 days is usually the discrepancy between the Ethiopian calendar and the Gregorian/European one. For example today is 29/07/2015 or 22/10/07 E.C.. I’ve heard multiple reasons for why there is a second calendar, but the truth is, it’s part of Ethiopia’s charm. Ethiopia was never colonized. It was occupied briefly by the Italians before the Battle of Adwa, but that’s about it. The Italians took what is modern day Eritrea, but the Ethiopia today has remained free since Queen Sheba’s day. Their calendar is just one part of how they illustrate their freedom and uniqueness. No one but them uses their 13 month calendar.
6 trainings and dialogs have given me breaks from Selekleka. These have ranged from trainings on gardening, reconnecting with all of G1l, female empowerment program, and program management. Through all of these, it’s been a humbling reminder to listen to others around me. Through sharing ideas (both good and bad), expressing struggles, and rejoicing in triumphs the ties of friendships and camaraderie have been strengthened.
5 months with no water has me reconsidering what Americans take for granted. I remember watching the youtube videos being posted about the bucket challenge, and wonder what that water could be used for. Since last summer, that’s become even more apparent. Now, I’m used to not washing hair for a week, and limiting what I can cook and wash. When I do wash hair it’s with a couple cups of water. My 20 liter (5.2 gallon) bucket lasts me 2-3 weeks. I know that it takes 3 liters in two buckets, to wash and rinse my thick, white, chalk covered teacher coat after a month of use. I know I can wash all my dishes in 1/4 liter of water. Dishwashers, laundry machines and showers will forever be seen as a blessing.
4 months have to be reported on the Volunteer Reporting Form (VRF). This elaborate form documents all activities that volunteers have done within the time frame. Our last one went from Feb 1 – May 31, 4 full months of activities. This includes direct teaching (where we use the 4Mat Lesson Plan), clubs, workshops, and extra activities. For each activity there are certain indicators and data that has to be entered. Besides activities, volunteers are asked to provide a success story, list of contacts, assessment on cultural integration, challenges, lessons learned, future planned activities, and feedback. 4 months doesn’t seem like that much time, but it has been a new challenge to make the most out of all the time here. While long term goals are important (and what I tend to gravitate towards) short term goals are needed and important to focus on.
3 months of Pre-Service Training (PST) in Butajira seem so long ago. Looking back on it, I’m surprised at my confidence and outlook. I never doubted that I could do this. In fact, I assumed that I could because I’d been planning for it for so long and I was a certified teacher. Looking back, I see that self as a kid proud of a play-dough construction, not realizing the joy of a sculpture. I’ve learned and grown more into the person God intended me to be than I ever imagined in those 3 months. However, it was in those 3 months that friendships were established with volunteers all over Ethiopia. Friends are there whenever I need them, and those that provide my mailbox with random blessings. Time cannot contain how friendships are formed or what we think of ourselves. People can become strong friends in a short amount of time, or change can happen slowly and steadily through time. 
2 semesters have been completed. 2nd semester was such a quick, easier, more fun semester partially because I knew my students and school system better. First semester was used to learn the ropes and expectations, while 2nd I was free to explore and push students further. While first are often seen as great, exciting, and new second was used to breath, be comfortable, and focus on more than survival mode. There is hope that 2nd year will be like that too. The lessons that this year taught me will be used to make the most of the 2nd and final year of this Peace Corps adventure.
1 year away from Pacific Northwest. 1 journal documenting it all. 1 stuffed animal elephant keeping me company. It’s taken all this time to learn so much. To learn how to teach a language I take for granted. To learn appreciate the ups and downs of a new program, while hoping for its survival. To have my heart opened up in unlikely ways by so many brown-eyed students. To appreciate new food that sounds, looks, or smells different. To learn lessons and values of a culture proud of who they are. To realize that there is still learning and growing to go. To appreciate even the little things and not take them for granted. To make short-term goals, and strive passionately for them. To take advantage of all the time given. To look forward with hope and confidence. One year, is all it took to change my heart in so many ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment