Monday, June 8, 2015

Grandpa is Right (22 May 2015)

          My Grandpa Rodger is one of my role models and people I love the most. He is dedicated to family and work although he is retired. He lives within a few hours of where he and his parents were born. He still manages the land that was homesteaded by his great grandfather (great great?) and takes his own garden trimming out there to be burned every year. He can tell you the make and model of any antique car with details on the ones like those he restored. He has an eye for details in small motors. He’ll always volunteer to watch the grandkids swim (even though we are all old enough) just as long as he can get back inside for the news. He loves Grandma in a way I hope a guy will love me someday. He’ll voice opinions.
         One of his opinions is that I shouldn’t be here. I should be teaching in America with my degree and teaching certificate, which accumulated some student loans. He questioned why I was needing to go half-way around the world to teach when there are plenty of kids in Washington and I had spent a year building relationships through subbing at all Spokane schools. Why should I go so far away from my family? I’ll miss every holiday, birthday, anniversary, graduation and other family events for two years. Although it’s been almost 11 months since I left the Pacific Northwest and 17 months since I accepted Peace Corps’ invitation, I am sure he still mutters over the morning paper that I should come home.
         Sometimes I agree with Grandpa.
         While I try to make facebook and this blog upbeat and happy, there are hard days. At least 3 times a week I get a marriage proposal. Not because the guy actually loves me, but as a marriage would make it easier for him to get a visa to America. After I decline, the guy usually asks if I have any girl friends in America that I could hook them up with on Facebook. I have drunks calling me all sorts of things as I decline offers to drink sewa with them. I’m asked if I have children and then attempts at persuasion state that I “need” one before I go home with an Ethiopian man so the child is the “most beautiful.” Students grab my hair to get my attention or constantly yell “Teacher” in a demanding and demeaning way as I teach. Kids come barging into my room without permission as I am working and start riffling through my stuff. I get called “forengi” by people who know my name, “honey” and “sugar” by guys on the road, and constantly demanded to give them something. This happens at school, market, on the way to the post office, in the morning, in the afternoon by teachers, friends, neighbors, and strangers. Harassment happens. I sometimes question if I should follow Grandpa’s advice and just go home.
         So why don’t I?
         I don’t for my students. The students here who look up to me and expect me to be there even though so many teachers aren’t. They rely on me to teach them something that many other students wish they could have. They trust me and respect me. Also, the students I had in my student teaching classroom; I encouraged them to start dreaming now. They encouraged me to keep trying to go teach in Africa when they found out my original plans fell through after graduation. Then, I stay for the students I will have later, who will look to me as a leader and role model. They will see that I am dedicated, committed and not going to fail. I will push them to work hard towards goals because they can be achieved. I will be able to show them examples of how hard work and perseverance led me to things I couldn’t imagine and that the same can happen for them. I don’t leave for my students.
         I don’t for my honor. Grandma and I often forced Grandpa to watch old BBC Horatio Hornblower films where Hornblower was always dedicated to honor, duty and loyalty. While I am not enlisted in Her Royal majesty’s fleets, I did enlist and swear in for this service. Like Horatio and Grandpa, my word is golden. My yesses are yes. When I say I am going to do something, I do it. I’ve never backed out of anything even if I didn’t like it, the pain was great, or I had an reliable excuse not to. I went to watch 5th grade baseball games in the wind and rain because I told a student I would be there. I stuck with softball in high school even though I didn’t agree with the coach who devalued me constantly. I kept going back on the basketball court after every twisted or dislocated knee injury. I did semesters in college on 6 hours of sleep consistently to take a full academic and work load. I did summer classes to make up for study abroad trip and extra classes while student teaching to graduate on time. I don’t quit so that I can honestly say I never did.  I stay because, at the office in Addis, my signature says I will.
         I don’t for my brothers. Missing Thomas move into my dorm and “traditiate” to be a Carlson man was rough. Not being there to watch Philip graduate last weekend was a hard pill to swallow. Then there is everything in-between: 4th of July on the dock after a long day of dunking each other, pumpkin carving where Philip usually dominates, new girlfriends, Thanksgiving indulging then sleeping on the couch together, football games out at the Pine Bowl, basketball games with an epic half time dance, trips to Dutch Brothers for smoothies and Winco for gummy worms, Christmas stockings where we still take turns to get to the orange in the toe, movie nights, Mariner games and meeting up at church. I miss that a lot. But I love that Philip tells me he is proud of me. That Thomas thinks it’s great I’m doing what I always said I would. I not only stay because my signature is on an oath, but because I want my brothers to always look at me as someone who preserveres, who dreams, who gets things done no matter the sacrifices. But most importantly as one who follows God’s call wherever that may lead.
         I don’t for my parents. Not only have I missed out on some great things happening in my brothers’ lives, but also in my parents’. I could have taught in the same area as my mom after helping each other set up our classrooms (something she let me help on every year since I could).  We could have met up to discuss lesson plans and curriculum. I could have had long nights talking doctoral and theological-ness with Dad. I could have celebrated his graduation and new call to Hermiston. I could have done something epic for their 30th wedding anniversary (May 25). I could help them move to their new house in Hermiston. I’ll continue to miss stuff in their lives too. But they never wanted me to base my life around them. They opened every door they could for me since I was born. They gave me a name with a meaning to remember what I mean to them no matter where I am in the world or what happens. They gave me a love for flying and traveling abroad (partially due to being an American citizen born abroad). They constantly encouraged me to pursue dreams with prayers, patience, and hard work. Friendships, experiences, memories, and adventures big and small will, not only make great Young Life talks, but also make me a better person. I stay because I am constantly encouraged to, prayed over, and supported. I stay so they can come and visit me, then I can show them the blessings of this place.  I stay so someday my daughter may look at me the same way I look at my parents.
         I don’t because I still believe this is God’s calling for my life. When I did the Peace Corps application I was also applying to schools in Spokane. I was opening all sorts of doors of potential jobs. I prayed that God would close all the doors to lead me to the one He wanted me to do. The doors closed till there was only one left: Peace Corps Ethiopia. I left with a deep peace that I was acting for something bigger than myself or what I could really comprehend. While doubt comes with harassment, that peace hasn’t left. On days it seems hard to focus on Him, Paul points me in the right direction often pointing out that God is strong in my own weaknesses. I still pray for God to guide my future and present, but know that I am in the right place, even if I can’t articulate adequately how I know that. I stay because Jesus stayed to fulfill God’s plan for his life through great pains. I stay because Paul and others went through so much worst than I will. I stay because He called Ruth to leave everything behind and Ester to stand up to any bully. I stay because this is where God wants me to be and I can’t leave that.
         Grandpa is a pretty smart guy. He knows crops and cars and family. He has his own set of proverbs that the family knows and loves. He is right: Family is the most important thing in one’s life so logically we should be closer to that. I graduated from a great school of education on cutting edge of the Common Core State Standards, knowing many of the principals and teachers at schools I would’ve applied for so why not use that? I do have loans that have to be repaid so why not get a job that really starts paying them back. He is right. I should go home. Harassment is not something anyone should have to constantly have to deal with on various levels every day. I should go home.
         But I, respectfully, can’t for another 16 months. Then I will more than willingly board a plane (or two or three or four depending on layovers) to get back home with a clear conscious that I set out on a mission and was tenacious enough to fulfill it. Until then, I’m thankful for the chocolate in care packages, encouragements in all forms, prayers, joy of parents coming and peace that I’m doing what God has called me to do. Sorry, Grandpa, the Huckleberry’s jokes, tater tot casseroles, “Mysteries at the Museum,” and late night ice-cream are just going to have to wait just a little bit longer. 

 (PS: Song that adequately describes what I feel like: “One Day You Will” by Lady Antebellum)

No comments:

Post a Comment