Monday, June 8, 2015

The Up Side of Being Down (May 29, 2015)

          While re-reading previous blogs ready to send off to Mom for editing and posting, I’ve  been  amazed at my honesty on the hardships, but fail to mention that the up-sides. So here they are-
• I got the sweetest postcard from Philip on the weekend of his graduation that made me beyond happy!
• I got four care packages last week that were bursting with tender loving care and amazing goodies. (Special shout out to Grandma Cindy, Mom, Sprinkles and Glenna!)
• An 11th grader braided my hair in 20+ braids that stayed good for a week and let my head breath (which equals less sweat!).
• I can wash my hair in 1/2 liter of water adequately so don’t have to worry about that.
• Cool evenings have been perfect for walks and embroidering.
• One of my good Ethiopian friends has started to call me sister! She is absolutely amazing and listens to me talk about whatever while helping me with Tigrigna. She also invited me to go see her 5th grade class at a village school that “is a long walk away.”
• I got to hold the tiniest lamb ever! It was so soft and sweet! Its head was smaller than my fist.
• Awesome friends are just a text or call away. Recently I have really realized how important friendships are here especially between fellow Peace Corps Volunteers.
• I am planning out a two week vacation!!!! From June 1st to 12th there is no school as 10th and 12th graders take their entrance/national exams. So I have two weeks vacation! Currently thinking of adventuring around Tigray with friends after buying tickets for when parents visit in 6 weeks!
• I have epic arm muscles from lifting and twirling kids.
• Had some of my rowdy boys thank me for being their teacher and wishing me a good weekend.
• My steri-pen has been working so when I do find non-salty water I can purify it on the spot and drink till I am content (and slightly water logged)

So some days are rough, and bad things happen, but there is also good going on too.

No comments:

Post a Comment