Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Dad's Day (Saturday 20 June 2015)

     There is an enveloped glued into the front cover of my journal. The yellow note inside was written by my mom and snuck into my carryon bag the day I left for Peace Corps (357 days ago). Behind this letter is a picture. Mom’s neat handwriting is starting to fade but you can still read “Before Church – March 1992 (14 months)” on the back with the Kodak logo printed sideways. 
As documented, I am 14 months old in the picture, wearing a cute sailor outfit with shiny red shoes sitting on Dad’s lap, smiling, large and goofy at the camera. A bookcase behind us is full of color. The couch is new, bright and comfortable. You can see the brick porch rail out the window of our Colorado home. Dad is sideways on the couch with slippered feet on one end, Mickey Mouse watch on left wrist, me on his lap and his arms around me holding (what I’m assuming) is a Bible or reference for that day’s sermon. He’s smiling, but not at the camera. He’s looking at me.
There are pictures posted all over my room. Some have been sent to me, others I printed off before I came. I don’t know where I originally found this picture. I discovered it in the back of my ipad case once I was in Ethiopia, but whatever the case this is my favorite picture I have with me. It also depicts how wonderful my father is and the lessons he’s taught me.
The bookshelves in the back left corner have been a constant feature in my life. The over six feet tall shelves reach nearly to the ceiling. My parents have two. They’ve always been crammed with books: Kids’ books on the lower shelves going up to Harvard Classics on the top. Education and reading has always been important for my dad. In his hands is an open book and pen wedged between his fingers. I’ve no doubt there are scrawled notes in the margins of that book. Learning more about God and life is wonderful. Discovering what lays behind a wardrobe door or what a bunch of different animals can do is captivating. The lesson of reading is something he handed down to all of us kids.  
What’s the favorite part of this picture is my dad’s face. It’s pure happiness and joy. Like there could be nothing better than sitting with his only daughter (and at the date of picture, only child) before church making jokes to get her to smile. Something he’d rather look at than a camera.
This is one of the greatest lessons my Dad has been showing me my whole life: Love. People matter. Family matters. Show them daily that you love and value them. Take the time to sit on a couch and laugh instead of worrying about work. Focus on that person rather than what else is happening around you. Neither one of us remembers what that sermon was about, but I’ve never gone a day without knowing my Dad loves me.
One way I’m reminded is every time I hear or write my name. Being the first girl in 5-6 generations, my parents didn’t have any girls’ names picked out. So it was after I was born that they had to think of names. Mom though Shona and Fiona were pretty, but Dad vetoed those. Instead he gave me Jessica. Not because it was the most popular US name that year (I wasn’t even born in the US), but because it’s meaning is “priceless treasure” and that’s what he saw me as.
This Father’s Day I am thousands of miles away from my Dad’s lap. I won’t get to hear his sermon, or watch a baseball game with him after church. Mom could use my bike to go on a bike ride with him, but not me. (I haven’t even been to the town they are now living in.) Hopefully the network works and I can get a phone call through. I cannot describe adequately what being away from my Dad for 51 weeks has been like.
But his love hasn’t stopped because I’m away from home. He’s sent me letters and a flashdrive of sermons to help me get though. The phone and skype calls may be few and far between, but they are packed with love and support. His Christmas wish for a hug is going to come true soon thanks to his hardwork and God’s support.
 That’s the true joy of today. After 16 (more) days of waiting, we will be able to hug, laugh, talk, eat, and take new pictures together. How wonderful will that occasion be?! I smile big and goofy like a 14 month old when I think about it.
What’s truly wonderful though, is how my dad has been a reflection of the ultimate father. God is wonderful enough to take time for all His children to get them to laugh and smile, even if something bad is happening to them. His love isn’t confined by space or time. His focus is love. That’s why He sent His only son off of His lap into a world so that all His children could come to Him. And one day, after many, many years of waiting, He will call us all home where the occasion of returning will be met with great celebration!
Today is a day to celebrate fathers – earthly, biological and fraternal. Those men who stepped up to the responsibly of showering their children with love. The men who are listed in phone contacts as “Dad, Daddy-O, Pop, Pa.” The men girls sent their ideal husbands to and want their sons to grow up like. To realize that even when earthly fathers falter or are too far away, there is another who is always there, who doesn’t leave, and who has a never ending love. So, Happy Father’s day to all the fathers and grandfathers out there!


Playlist: “Butterfly Kisses” Bob Carlisle, “He Didn’t Have To Be” Brad Paisley and “He’s Right There” Tammy Trent

1 comment:

  1. So i've definitely have been a little behind on your blog (honest at least!), but this was a great one! :) Happy your Skype call made it through on father's day and I was able to say hello as well! :) hope all is going well and i'd love to Skype soon!
    ~Love,
    Phil

    ReplyDelete