Monday, November 30, 2015

Harsh? 25 November 2015


harsh (adj)
1.      difficult to live in or endure because very uncomfortable or inhospitable conditions
2.      severely scrutinizing, critical, and rigid in manner
3.      extremely exacting to the point of being punitive
4.      jarring or unpleasant to the senses
Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

Recently, teacher friends have been asking me about the “harsh” conditions of Selekleka. Questions about the “air condition” (weather) are common, but recently many are convinced that it is harsh. When I inquire into their thinking they tell me it is because the mornings are so cold and the afternoons are very hot. This is true. I put on a sweater before going to school and can often see my breath most of the way there. However, by 9 my teacher coat is enough warmth and by 10 I’m too warm.

Extreme cold and hot could be considered “uncomfortable” or “inhospitable;” however, Selekleka doesn’t deal with extremes. But that’s where I realize my thinking differs from many of my friends. Extreme cold for me entails inches of ice on the road while blinding snow is swirling around and having to walk to class wrapped in scarves and jackets. Thank you Pacific Northwest for giving me tastes of this every year.

While I may dislike the cold mornings here, I relish in the fact that I can walk to school everyday without having to worry about chains on tires. Rains may make some paths muddy earlier in the school year, but there is a paved road to walk on if needed. The weather really isn’t harsh.

Besides the weather, this adjective paints the perfect picture of the opposite living conditions of Selekleka. The people here are very hospitable. They take the time to listen to my faltering Tigrigna and offer to buy me tea whenever I walk past a tea house. I’ve become a part of the community where parents are comfortable letting me twirl their kids, students are comfortable coming up and talking to me outside of class (not a common behavior), and kids are comfortable leaping off the 2 foot raised sidewalks to be caught by me.

While I continuously scrutinize myself, friends here remind me that that’s not what life is about. I’m told “Don’t worry,” “Just do you,” and other encouragements that remind me that I’m not in a place where severe scrutiny is common. In fact everything is flexible, relaxed, leisurely. There are things one has to do, of course, but even those are not fixed and rigid in when or how they need to be done. Nothing is done or required in an exact way. It is not like America when time and clocks are adhered to like gods.

Besides the cold in the morning and the sunburning heat in the afternoon, my senses are at peace here. Evening walks through the light breeze as the birds and frogs call out are relaxing. My eyes dart around from color and smiles and friends wherever I go. The food may not have great variety, but it’s always fresh, hot and comforting. I’ve even uped my spicy tolerance so more food doesn’t qualify as “unpleasant” or “harsh” any more. Sure, I still have to meander around cow, donkey and camel droppings wherever I go, but that’s just one smell in a mix of millions that make Selekleka home.


Yes, life can be difficult and unpleasant here. But, it’s not harsh. It’s tolerable, nice, comfortable, even hospitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment