Friday, November 6, 2015

What’s in my bag? 25 October 2015



Before I left from the States, I made sure that I had two important bags. One being a yellow JansSport backpack that originally was my Mom’s and, the other, a colorful side -- bright and fun. Between the two of them I figured I could go anywhere and take everything with me. It’s been well over a year since my Grandma sewed in a zipper to my colorful bag and I headed off on this adventure. 15.5 months since it was beautiful and good to go. Months to collect chalk and dust on the inside and outside. The colors were muted by dirt. So, today I decided to wash it.

Before letting it soak, I had to empty it out. While taking out random odds and ends I realized that my life could be summed up in the contents of my bag:

4 used phone cards: Disconnecting from unlimited text and call contracts I’ve adapted to the system of phone cards. These green strips of cereal box cardstock range from 5-100 birr though I usually buy 25 ones. I’ve learned that each text is 35 cents, Facebook is much cheaper (especially after 9pm) and a call to the States is about 9 birr per minute. Buying these are a perfect way to break 100 birr notes that banks hand out.
     I’m a people person. I love being connected with people. Texts, calls and messages are important to me. While some people budget, I don’t when it comes to communications. Sure, I only call home when someone has a birthday or I can call with wifi instead, but I try to connect often. 

Assorted sizes of chalk: While I don’t intentionally put chalk into my bags, somehow it always finds a way to get in. It falls out when I bring my lab coat home to wash. After a year of teaching the bottom is pretty much caked in chalk.
I am a teacher and it infiltrates every part of my life. Chalk lines on my hands have kids bringing me water after class to wash with. It’s a hard job, but I love it. I love trying to figure out new ways to use a chalkboard to be clear and concise without being overwhelming. While use of chalk and chalkboard space may not be a great job skill to post from Peace Corps, it does remind me to be thankful for all the resources that I do come across.

Hand sanitizer: Peace Corps Volunteers joke that our immune systems are going to be made of steel by the time we finish service, and it’s only a slight exaggeration. We shake hands with everyone multiple times. Everything is done with the hands. It’s important that they stay clean and we stay healthy.
I don’t go anywhere without hand santizer. I have small bottles of it in every bag and it’s on the water filter right inside my door. However, I am in no way a germ-o-phobe. Instead I embrace the dirt and grim. I shake hands with kids, push donkeys aside at market, and brush off a kid’s tears when he falls running. I live life unafraid of the mess, but am prepared to take care of it afterwards.

Plastic container of band-aids and meds:  I’m a klutz. I cut my fingers weekly. I trip on small rocks. I get bruised against a blackboard. While usually these don’t end in blood or pain, I’m one who thinks ahead. I bring band-aids for myself and others in case something happens. I have ibuprophen when the headaches come.

Assorted pens: Part of having to wash hands often is the fact that I often use my skin as scratch paper. While my parents tried to derail this habit when I was a kid, it’s stuck. English, Tigrigna, and random numbers are often littered over my left hand in mine or others’ handwriting. I’m a visual learner. I don’t learn unless I see it or at least write it down. Unlike many the Ethiopian culture where many assume that if you heard it once you have it memorized, I have to constantly practice and work at language and absorbing new material. Writing it down helps. (There were also random pieces of paper in the bag too that are marked with things I don’t even know when I wrote down.)

Toilet Paper: In the states you could pop into a store without actually buying anything and find bathrooms stocked with toilet paper. Here Western toilets are rare and toilet paper holders even rarer. One learns pretty quickly to always have toilet paper wherever you go.

Some things are always in my bag that I would take with me even in the states. Money, water bottle, keys and phone are always checked before leaving a place. Unlike the States I don’t have to have a driver’s license as there isn’t any enforcement looking for it.  Occasionally they’ll be a book, binder or lesson plan, but that’s with a purpose.

But my purpose at this moment . . . wash this bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment