Monday, November 30, 2015

Making Words Count 17 November 2015

 Recently while I was waiting for a bus to fill, I stumbled upon an old text message conversation. When my Dad came to visit me this summer, he left me his old iphone to use for music on buses and runs. Besides the throw back music I haven’t listened to in ages, it also had text 723 conversations between the two of us ranges from July 14, 2013 to June 25, 2014. The 11 months before Peace Corps adventure happened.

Scrolling through the hundreds of texts I started to notice patterns. In the time frame I mentioned 11 states that I was in with only 9 flights, though I traveled through 4 time zones. There were 55 movie quotes and 4 “who am I?” game references, and 3 sporting events updates. I sent him three interview updates, one of which was for the Peace Corps. We both sent pictures of fresh baked bread and complaints about driving in snow.

My Dad and I have always been close. He is the man I admire most and one of the many that I wish I could call/text every day that I am here. He taught me so many lessons about respect, love, relationships and perseverance through many lessons. Too many lessons to put in this one blog adequately, but one of the lessons he taught me is to value words.

There is a time and place for shallow, mediocre conversations. To ask about a sports’ team season or about the record breaking weather. But there also needs to be time for the in-depth, hard to wrestle questions often kept inside. The questions of beliefs, morals, and obligations. There is a time to tell jokes and a time to be serious. Knowing context helps one know what to say when.

55 movie quotes seems like a lot between a father and daughter. 50 of them were sent in one day from the same movie. Why? That was the day my brother and I, who were driving across the country, approached and played on the Field of Dreams in Iowa. While the old Kevin Costner film may be foreign to non-baseball fans, it’s one that has brought the Sexton 5 together every baseball season.  Thomas and I got to play on the field. The quotes mean more than just a fun banter between father and kids (for the record Thomas did text many of them as I was driving.) They show part of the complex, familiar connection between us.

There are also texts that I sent when I got lost in Eastern Oregon due to bad GPS skills, traveling over state borders, building anxiety of interviews, and growing great anticipation for reconnections over Christmas break. Texts show my own uncertainty, but my unfaltering trust in my Dad. He responded with better directions, hotel reservations in multiple states, encouragement and equal (if not greater) expectant joy. 

I still text and talk about all of these things with people who are within cell phone service. I quote Disney quotes with friends, vent off frustrations, send  \messages #peacecorpslife  that only few will truly understand, and  updates when I’ve successfully reached destination despite any transportation hurdles. Even though I can’t text my Dad about these things, I’ve realized it is important to text talk:  To let others in on your day, To be honest with what you are feeling, To be genuine with advice and honest with criticism.  To make each text messages with 120 characters for 35 birr cent count.

While it may be harder for many of you to believe, I have gotten quieter since being in Peace Corps. I have been told to speak louder on multiple conversations. I’ve had American and Ethiopian friends ask me if I’m okay because I didn’t talk much for hours. Part of this is due to the fact that Tigrigna is still a hard battle to understand for me. Part of it is due to not being as informed of pop culture as my fellow peers. However, the real reason, is I’ve finally started to grasp the other side of the importance of words coin.

I once asked my Dad about how visiting people who are sick in the hospital goes. He told me simply that he just listens to what the person has to say. To give advice, he often just rewards what the person says and tells it back to them. He not only taught me to give words meaning when I say them, but also to give other’s words meaning by listening to them. Really listening.

That’s what I’ve been working on here. To listen to people. To listen to my students when they voice struggles. To listen to my teachers and understand where they are coming from before jumping to conclusions. To listen to my fellow Peace Corps Volunteers joys and struggles so they know they aren’t alone. It’s through listening that I’ve learned more about others, cultures and myself then articulation.

Words. We say and use hundred every day for variant degrees of importance. But it’s been through coming into a culture where I can barely talk  to realize that there is a time to talk. To put in one’s two cents, to play “devil’s advocate,” to share a part of one’s self. To ask questions to understand better. There is also a time to listen. To hold off speaking to hear another. A time to hear what the words are trying to get to in order to really understand the other person. So, be careful with words. Use them when you need to. Hold off when someone else needs the chance to speak. And value what can happen through words.




No comments:

Post a Comment