Sunday, November 8, 2015

The Unexpected 30 October 2015

“The only thing to expect is the unexpected.” – Jimi (PCV Friend)

Part of me wants to cry. Another part is rolling her eyes. I should have learned this lesson before. Oh so many things so many times, but instead I am just shocked and surprised like a naïve new comer. I’m bound to learn one of these days…I just wish it wasn’t today…right now.

For those of you who don’t know October 30th holds more for my family then just final touches on costumes and carving pumpkins. It’s Mom’s birthday. A day where we do carve pumpkins but also fit time for Mom. While this could be tricky with sports’ schedules in high school, as far as I know, Whitworth’s Fall Break usually falls this weekend so we’ve been home in time to celebrate. It’s a day to look forward too. It also means that I get to save up the phone birr and call Mom after a week of a whole lot and finally get to vent. (FYI: Dad’s birthday was a week and a half ago and we chatted up plenty.)

I tried to bide my time hanging with friends and doing odd things until 6:30pm my time (8:30am her time) finally rolled around. We’d barely said hello and asked what our plans were for the weekend when the power went out. I tried to warn her that this means network will go out to, but before I could the network cut out. 2 minutes and 10 seconds after we’d connected. I should have expected the unexpected network fail.

From the last paragraph to this one the network came back on and I got to talk to Mom for about 44 minutes. While the power didn’t come back, the network did. This week the network has been out for 3-13 hours. You never know what to expect. So, I guess expecting the unexpected is a safer bet.

Today has been a day of unexpected curve balls. This morning I woke up at 12:30, 1:30 and 4:30 to deluge rain even though it’s been dryer than a desert for the last month. While giving a short Unit I test, I found out that many of my students were unfamiliar with a matching format for a test. They could do multiple choice, but struggled to understand matching (even though we had done it during class). While on break a fellow English teacher and a History teacher told me they wanted to help with English Day activities, even though there was no incentive last year. They want to start doing debates with students and even with teachers. Heading out of campus, I was told that there is no school next week. Turns out the rains signal the week of harvest before other “spring showers” come. So, even though we started two-three weeks late and mid exams are suppose to be in three weeks, schedule is messed up again. Unexpectancies of life.

Part of me wants to get frustrated. I was just getting into the flow of things. I had just figured out where mid-exams were and how to finish 3 units until then. I want a routine. I don’t want to waste my last year by wasting times. But then I realize that is pretty self-centered. Instead, I get to learn more about another culture that is so heavily agricultural and religious that the school system is bound to that. Instead new ideas by new teachers are brought up for ideas. Instead I get to light a candle and watch its golden glow bounce around the shadows of the room.

I like to be in control. Maybe it’s a side effect of being an American where control and time are heavily valued or just being an older sister. (Maybe a combination. ;) ) Whatever the reason, it’s the unexpectancies that keep life real, moving, going. The random conversations that leave me smiling. The lyrics to a song that suddenly make more sense. So, instead of complaining about frustrations, I’m going to look to find God’s gift. I’ll find joy in my comfort zone and routine expectations being poked, prodded and broken.


P.S. I don’t know if it will copy into the blog, but just so you know I wrote this blog with “cracked” font. Who would have expected that to even be a thing, but it seems fitting.



No comments:

Post a Comment