Sunday, November 8, 2015

In America Only 2 November 2015


There are many things I love about America. It resides under the bold stars and strips with a firm stand for independence. Coasts reach from sea to sea with forests, fields and deserts mixed in the middle. Food is associated with all holidays from apple pie to candy corn. There are big cities and small hometowns. Country, pop, rock, and everything in-between can be found on the radio. However, being away from the Land of the Brave has awaken me to some things America does differently than the rest  of world; things that are just kind of strange.

If I were to buy anything at market or bulk items at a suk, I have to have either “hanti  or ferki kilo.” Everything is by the kilo instead of the pound. Everywhere else in the world uses this system for measuring. Same for when one weighs a person. This can be a perk when people ask me (awkwardly on my side) how much I weigh and I honestly don’t know; however, it makes me ponder why America decided to go with something else. Something ( a pound) that translates into 2.204622 kilograms, so it’s not perfect to work between the two.

I haven’t grown since high school. As it listed next to my basketball jersey number, I am 5 foot 9 inches. However, only in America does that mean anything. Feet and inches don’t relate to the rest of the world. Instead the metric system kicks in with meters and centimeters. This changes me to answering the “How tall are you?” question with “1.75.” One inch is equal to 2.54 centimeters proving again that America’s system is odd, unique and incompatible.

Meters also come into play when people ask me how far one place is from another. Instead of using miles (which take a randomly even 5,280 feet each), things around here are measured in kilometers. Instead of saying distance I ask people to tell me how long it takes to walk or bus there to get a  more understandable estimate of distance. I know it takes me about 30 minutes to walk the 2.7 kilometers to school. I know it takes about a half hour to go to Shire which is 35 kilometers away. Bus systems tend to charge about 10 birr per half hour of travel time so I also know what to expect to pay to get places.

Today is warm with a light breeze. Thankfully I don’t have a thermometer to tell me the temperature, but if I paid attention to the weather reports on the news blaring in the staff lounge I still wouldn’t know the temperature anyways. Growing up I knew that if it was 70, I could play with water, 80 meant swimming was a fair game, and 90 meant extra sunscreen. Those all being in Fahrenheit of course. Here temperature is calculated through Celsius making 21 the new 69.8.

But of all the things that I don’t understand anymore about America is Day Light Savings, which went into effect yet again yesterday. Instead of being 10 hours away from my immediate family I am now 11 hours. While there are other countries around the world that do this I still question: Why!? What is the logic to be completely crazy and throw everyone off? (FYI Arizona doesn’t change and I think they’re on to something.)


Other countries have red, white and blue flags. Other countries have beaches and high mountains. Other countries make delicious food to celebrate important days. Other countries have variety in their music choices. But we’re the stubborn, rebels who have pounds, inches, feet, Fahrenheit and take part in Day Light Savings. God bless America…and all the others who put up with our silliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment