Saturday, November 7, 2015

Why I couldn’t commit a crime. (AKA Why integration is important) 28 October 2015


I am dedicated to crime shows. I’m not really sure where or when this obsession first took hold, but it has fostered throughout the years. In middle school I’d watch San Fran’s private detective with Obsessive Complusive Disorders in  “Monk” when parents had to go to Young Life. In high school my brothers and I would stay up for the dynamic pineapple loving duo of Shawn and Gus in Santa Barbara based “Psych.” I’ve seen the classic “Miss Marple” and Sherlock Homes that BBC does and the most recent Sherlocks. During the summers at college I would watch “Murdoch” with Grandma and “Mysteries at the Museum” with Grandpa. I’ve seen the high school based “Veronica Mars, ” the chemically altered in “Beauty and the Beast,” and the anthropologically tied “Bones.” Now, thanks to my amazing Peace Corps buddies, I’m hooked on “Castle” and “Elementary.”
My friends and I laughed awhile ago, about all the lessons crime shows teach us. For example, don’t threaten, just take action. More people are killed on TV because they threatened to go to the cops then those that actually called out bad people. Other lessons include: don’t run from cops, avoid cameras, don’t leave angry voicemails, don’t go into debt, deposit and withdraw money in small amounts over a large period of time, and call for an ambulance if there was an accident so you aren’t charged with murder. A bunch of random lessons I hope none of us have to deal with.
So what does all of this have to do with Peace Corps? Unlike embassies, we don’t have diplomatic immunity (like consulates). If something happens…well, Peace Corps would try to get us out, but it might be awhile. So…getting closer to my point.
If you were to teleport into Selekleka right now, all you would have to do is ask 3 people where I am and at least one of them could tell you. Ask the kids and your odds of finding me improve. People know where I am pretty much all the time. My name is shouted wherever and whenever I leave my room or compound. I have found my sitemates by just standing still at market and hearing kids yell for them! People come up and tell me they saw me or my sitemates like it is something odd. (“Really? I was walking out of town towards the school?!”) This could be said for many volunteers. We are “on” all the time whenever we leave our houses. People are watching us whether we know it or not. We always have alibis.
These alibis though aren’t just strangers. They are students, colleagues, friends: an extension of our family away from home. One, if not the best part, of my job is becoming integrated into the community that I live in. It’s actually part of my trimester reporting form to tell Peace Corps how I’m integrating into the community. I see it as part of my job to learn the language, become familiar with people, build relationships and really live in the community I’m a part of.
In big city America, I walked around in a cloak of invisibility. I didn’t notice anyone, and didn’t try to draw attention to myself. I could name my neighbors in the dorm, one in my theme house (Whitworth’s Presidential Family), but none the year after college. I couldn’t tell you who I bought groceries from, or the person who brought the mail. Here? Community is family. You know everyone and they know you.
A couple weeks ago I went to a suk after a walk when a friend called me over. She had oranges and I thought they sounded great. Plus we haven’t had much fruit besides bananas in a while. However, I hadn’t brought my wallet. I had left it in my bag from school. I tried to explain that I didn’t have money. She smiled and told me to come back later with the money.  She knew me enough to trust me. Where in America could you do that?
To be honest though, sometimes  I want that invisibility back. I just want to go for a walk and not have thirty people call out to me. I want to come to my house and just be. But then I see a kid smile or have a great moment with another person and I remember that invisibility just puts up a barrier. Life is meant to be lived with people that care, love and know you. And to figure out how to be patient when annoyed, joyful when homesick, and calm when anger wants to come out.
The two things every mystery show suspect has to consider, besides alibis, are motive and opportunity. I don’t have the time to plan and execute a plan for a crime. Instead I plan out lessons, clubs, other programs and time for myself and friends. Most days I take a nap so that I can keep going. Besides, as mentioned before, I’m watched all the time so I don’t have an opportunity without someone seeing me. As to motive sure, people annoy and frustrate me, but that’s shouldn’t be a basis for a crime. The people I see are my friends and fellow humans. I’ve never been hurt by them in ways that I couldn’t rise above. My motive for being a Peace Corps volunteer and loving the opportunities this job opens is a greater driving force in my life.

I may love crime shows, but I could never commit a crime. I’m too well integrated into a community of love to have a)motive  or b) opportunity. Instead, I have more alibis then could fit in any interrogation room, but that all have special niches in my heart. Besides, orange is not my color!

No comments:

Post a Comment